I was dismayed Labour filibustered its own motions
Dear Ed, THE Alliance for Lifelong Learning are not the only campaigners who should be dismayed by Labour’s actions at April’s Tower Hamlets council meeting. It must be the first time in history a political party filibustered its own motions!
THE Alliance for Lifelong Learning are not the only campaigners who should be dismayed by Labour’s idiotic actions at April’s Tower Hamlets council meeting (Advertiser Website letters, April 24).
The decision to vote down extending the meeting by just 15 minutes meant we lost motions of support for the Bethnal Green Stairways to Heaven’ War Memorial and the Strangers into Citizens’ rally.
What was even more bizarre was that these were both motions from Labour councillors, including council leader Lutfur Rahman.
This must be the first time in history that a political party has filibustered its own motions!
You may also want to watch:
There is no argument that Labour councillors had to get away to catch a train, a bus or a plane. But they all retired after the meeting to enjoy a cup of tea and food at council taxpayers’ expense.
Respect had made an agreement with Labour prior to the meeting to prioritise five motions, three from Respect and two from Labour. For once, the meeting was likely to achieve something—rather than merely act as a vehicle for Tory and Labour grandstanding and poor, sub-Parliamentary jousting.
- 1 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 3 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 4 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 5 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 6 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 7 Mum praises 'amazing' NHS staff who saved 'precious' tot's life
- 8 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 9 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 10 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
Unfortunately, there was the usual time-wasting all the way through the meeting, including an entirely unnecessary speech from Cllr Rachael Saunders after I had accepted her amendment for stricter controls over lap dancing clubs in the East End. This is why we had to extend the time, modestly, to reach these important resolutions.
The level of idiocy and contempt for the campaigns and the electorate that Labour councillors claim they are there to serve beggars belief.
Cllr Abjol Miah
Respect Group leader
Tower Hamlets Council
Town Hall, Mulberry Place, Blackwall