I was dismayed Labour filibustered its own motions
Dear Ed, THE Alliance for Lifelong Learning are not the only campaigners who should be dismayed by Labour’s actions at April’s Tower Hamlets council meeting. It must be the first time in history a political party filibustered its own motions!
THE Alliance for Lifelong Learning are not the only campaigners who should be dismayed by Labour’s idiotic actions at April’s Tower Hamlets council meeting (Advertiser Website letters, April 24).
The decision to vote down extending the meeting by just 15 minutes meant we lost motions of support for the Bethnal Green Stairways to Heaven’ War Memorial and the Strangers into Citizens’ rally.
What was even more bizarre was that these were both motions from Labour councillors, including council leader Lutfur Rahman.
This must be the first time in history that a political party has filibustered its own motions!
You may also want to watch:
There is no argument that Labour councillors had to get away to catch a train, a bus or a plane. But they all retired after the meeting to enjoy a cup of tea and food at council taxpayers’ expense.
Respect had made an agreement with Labour prior to the meeting to prioritise five motions, three from Respect and two from Labour. For once, the meeting was likely to achieve something—rather than merely act as a vehicle for Tory and Labour grandstanding and poor, sub-Parliamentary jousting.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 8 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
Unfortunately, there was the usual time-wasting all the way through the meeting, including an entirely unnecessary speech from Cllr Rachael Saunders after I had accepted her amendment for stricter controls over lap dancing clubs in the East End. This is why we had to extend the time, modestly, to reach these important resolutions.
The level of idiocy and contempt for the campaigns and the electorate that Labour councillors claim they are there to serve beggars belief.
Cllr Abjol Miah
Respect Group leader
Tower Hamlets Council
Town Hall, Mulberry Place, Blackwall