Ian Tomlinson G20 protest death: Family ‘kept in dark’

�The family of Ian Tomlinson said they feel they have been “kept in the dark” ever since the investigation opened into his death at the G20 protest.

Paul King, the newspaper vendor’s stepson, spoke out this week after evidence emerged that three police officers gave statements saying they had seen PC Simon Harwood push Mr Tomlinson to the ground shortly before his death.

City of London Police had this information within 48 hours of the death but did not pass it on to the Independent Police Complaints Commission, the family or the coroner.

The IPCC has now launched a new investigation into why the evidence was not immediately passed on, following a complaint from the family.

Mr King, who lives on the Isle of Dogs, said the family believe they have been misled by the police and do not feel the investigation has been open enough.

He told the Advertiser: “From day one we’ve been kept in the dark. We’ve not had any contact with the IPCC for over a year.

“The truth is there in black and white and as long as it’s investigated properly it will come out.”

Most Read

In three separate investigations, the IPCC released reports into the police handling of the case this week.

It concluded that the Metropolitan Police did not deliberately misinform the media but said that a senior officer had “recklessly” but not deliberately misled two pathologists over the possible causes of Mr Tomlinson’s death.

The report came shortly after an inquest found that Mr Tomlinson had been “unlawfully killed” by PC Harwood and died from internal bleeding.

In response to the family’s concerns over the new evidence, the IPCC said its investigation was subjected to “intense scrutiny” during the inquest and the finding of unlawful killing was in line with its own conclusions.

A spokeswoman added that it held regular lengthy meetings with the family while the investigation was ongoing in 2009 and said it would have arranged any further ones if the family made requests.

In response to why the IPCC did not investigate the delay in the three officers’ evidence from the start of its investigation, the spokeswoman added: “It was not clear from those statements exactly who they had passed that information to and when.”

In light of the inquest and findings, chief prosecutor Keir Starmer QC is deciding whether to charge PC Harwood with manslaughter.

Mr King said the family wants to see the case get the court.

He added: “We want a jury to decide what happened that day. But I think we’ll always wonder if there is more that we don’t know.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter