Ian Tomlinson’s family hopes for manslaughter charges following unlawful killing verdict

The family of Ian Tomlinson said an unlawful killing verdict returned on Tuesday was “justice” for the newspaper seller who died after he was struck by a Met police officer during 2009’s G20 protests.

Paul King, Mr Tomlinson’s step-son, said he and his relatives were now hoping that manslaughter charges would be brought against PC Simon Harwood, who pushed Mr Tomlinson before striking him with his baton in the City as he was walking home.

Standing alongside Mr Tomlinson’s widow Julia, he said: “After two years, we’re really grateful that the inquest process has made a strong statement about how Ian died.

“We are grateful to the jury and the coroner and we think the jury finding speaks for itself in the verdict of unlawful killing.”

Evidence from PC Harwood and pathologist Dr Freddy Patel was discredited as part of the verdict which will prompt reviews by both the Crown Prosecution Service and the Metropolitan Police.


You may also want to watch:


The inquest heard how Mr Tomlinson, a homeless 47-year-old newspaper seller whose family lives on the Isle of Dogs, was not involved in the demonstrations on April 1 2009.

The Director of Public Prosecutions is to review the decision not to prosecute PC Harwood for his role in Mr Tomlinson’s death.

Most Read

The Crown Prosecution Service said the review would take place as quickly as possible.

A spokesman said: “The Director of Public Prosecutions, Keir Starmer QC, made it clear last year that the decision not to prosecute anyone in relation to the death of Mr Ian Tomlinson would be reviewed in light of the evidence heard at the inquest.

“That review will now take place and will be thorough.”

The review will consider information that emerged about Mr Tomlinson’s death during the inquest.

Mr King spoke of his hopes that Mr Starmer would act on the jury verdict.

He said: “We hope the DPP will consider what the jury has said in their evidence and what has come out.

“We are looking forward to the next stages in the search for justice for Ian.”

He described the moment of hearing the verdict as bringing “closure” to the family and added: “It feels like something is being done by some sort of authority, and hopefully we’ll get the right answers when it goes back to criminal proceedings.”

Mr King conceded that the family had “a long way to go”, but said: “We have been let down for two years, and this is the first bit of hope we have had.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus