In pictures: Thousands cycle through east London at RideLondon
- Credit: Archant
Three cycling enthusiasts held a family get-together with a difference at the weekend as they joined thousands for the UK’s biggest ever cycling event to raise money for charity.
Saturday saw around 65,000 cyclists taking part in the FreeCycle where amateur cyclists, friends, and families zooming past London’s most iconic landmarks in the sunshine.
They were followed by 16,500 people yesterday who had dared to tackle the RideLondon 100-mile charity race from Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park to Surrey, returning for a photogenic finish in The Mall.
Among them was Bow resident Jonathan Davison, 27, who teamed up his younger brother James, 23, and his father Paul to raise money for ActionAid which aims to combat poverty and sponsor children growing up in developing countries.
All three members of Team Davison completed the race and reached their fundraising target of £3,500, led by 53-year-old Paul who cycles an impressive 12-mile-round trip to work every day.
You may also want to watch:
Jonathan said: “Part of the reason why we decided to compete was due to cycling being a hobby that we all enjoy but also because of our competitive edge.
“I know the money raised will be going to a more than worthy cause. It is clearly worth the time and effort you put in.”
- 1 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 2 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 3 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 4 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 7 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 8 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 9 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 10 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
Around 150 elite cyclists - including Team Sky fresh from their Tour de France victory - took on the 140-mile Prudential RideLondon Surrey to London Classic yesterday and the Park hosted a free festival to celebrate all things cycling.
To see a photo gallery of RideLondon passing through east London, click on the multimedia link on the right hand side.
Find out more about how the professionals and celebrities got on by visiting www.London24.com.