Injury blow for O’s as McCallum set for six-month spell on sidelines
- Credit: Archant
Young forward expected to miss majority of season after suffering cruciate ligament damage
Leyton Orient have been rocked by the news that forward Paul McCallum is set for at least a six-month lay-off after suffering cruciate ligament damage in his right knee.
The 22-year-old was forced off against Northampton Town on Saturday, leaving the field on a stretcher after hurting himself whilst trying to force the ball past Cobblers goalkeeper Adam Smith.
It was expected that the former West Ham United youngster would be out for a long time and it has now been confirmed by the club.
Orient head coach Ian Hendon admitted it is a big blow for the Brisbane Road outfit, but wished the striker a speedy recover.
You may also want to watch:
“We are all devastated for Paul,” the O’s boss told the official club website. “He has had a great start to the season for us and was showing everyone what he was capable of at this level.
“Paul will be a loss for us, but knowing the type of character he is I am confident he can come back fitter and stronger from this experience.”
- 1 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 2 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 3 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 8 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 9 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 10 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
McCallum began the season on fire, scoring three times in the O’s opening four league games and delighting supporters with a trademark salute celebration.
After that he failed to hit the net in the remaining five fixtures he played, but now Orient are contemplating facing the rest of the season without the talented striker.