Inquest opens into Bethnal Green pedestrian’s death
An inquest has opened into the death of a 78-year-old woman who was killed while crossing Bethnal Green Road jut before Christmas.
Lillian Carriage, of Diss Street, Bethnal Green was walking across a pedestrian crossing when she was in collision with a lorry, which was turning left into the road from Rushmead, at 10.35am, the hearing at Poplar coroner’s court heard today.
Police were called to the scene as well as paramedics who attended to the injured woman but she was pronounced dead at 11.10am on Thursday December 23.
The 33-year-old driver of the lorry was arrested at the scene on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and careless driving.
He was later bailed to return to an east London police station for further inquiries on March 28.
You may also want to watch:
The coroner Sean McGovern sitting at Poplar Coroner’s Court said the cause of death was multiple injuries including spinal injuries before adjourning the inquest until June 27, pending any decision from the police.
Police are appealing for witnesses to call the Met’s Chadwell Heath traffic investigation unit on 0208 597 4874.
- 1 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 2 Jailed: Bethnal Green man who tried to buy hand grenade to use on police
- 3 Fear of crime stalked households during Covid lockdown
- 4 Connor Wood keen to keep developing at Leyton Orient under Kenny Jackett
- 5 Photography celebrating Roman Road displayed in high street windows
- 6 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 7 Travel: Roadworks at Shoreditch and Bishopsgate could slow traffic
- 8 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 9 Trees now up for 'adoption' to help make East End greener
- 10 Live audience ban forces east London talent show to go on YouTube