Intern found dead in Bethnal Green amid reports of gruelling working hours
- Credit: Archant
A 21-year-old German banking intern found dead in a flat worked several “all-nighters” in two weeks, according to friends.
A 21-year-old German student found dead in a flat may have worked several “all-nighters” in two weeks, according to reports.
Moritz Erhardt was found at Claredale House, Bethnal Green, on Thursday.
He had been working for global investment Bank of America Merrill Lynch (BAML) during the summer hoping to start a career with the firm.
He was pronounced dead at the flat complex which is used mainly by interns for City and Docklands banks.
It is not being treated as suspicious but sparked reports he worked late into the night to impress bosses.
Posts on online forums suggested Mr Erhardt was regularly working long hours in the bank’s Canary Wharf office. A post on the wallstreetoasis.com site added: “It is absolutely true – he was found dead in the shower by his flatmate. Intern at BAML who went home at 6am three days in a row.”
- 1 Man, woman and child escape 'large' e-bike fire in Wapping flat by climbing out window
- 2 Tower Hamlets A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 3 Plan to install gates at canalside development blocked despite ASB concerns
- 4 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 5 Thames Water: Hosepipe ban announced for London and Thames Valley
- 6 'Ruthless' killer sentenced for Isle of Dogs murder
- 7 Teenager, 17, arrested after car crashes into Bow apartment building
- 8 Investigation under way after fire and explosion at Shoreditch block
- 9 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 10 All Points East 2022: Gorillaz, Idles line-up and stage times
A statement from BAML said: “We are shocked and saddened by the news of Moritz Erhardt’s death. He was a popular and a highly diligent intern at our company with a promising future.”