International Broadcast Centre is the fifth Olympic venue to be completed
The construction of the International Broadcast Centre at the 2012 Olympic Park has been finished, it was announced today. It is the fifth Olympic venue to be completed.
The 24-hour media hub will form part of the Main Media Complex, which also includes the Main Press Centre.
The complex will cater for over 20,000 broadcasters, photographers and print journalists bringing the Games to an estimated four billion people worldwide. At 275 metre long and 104 metre wide the 21 metre tall buildings is big enough to house five jumbo jets.
The ODA says the building has been designed to be as “flexible as possible” to accommodate a range of potential tenants and uses after the Games.
A High Street with retail, leisure and support service outlets is being created to cater exclusively for accredited press and broadcasters.
You may also want to watch:
The complex will also have a catering village and a multi-storey car park linking the IBC and MPC together via a structure that includes a conference room for up to 700 people.
Olympics Minister Hugh Robertson said: “The IBC is fundamental to the worldwide success of the Games housing thousands of the world’s media and sending pictures right across the world. As one of the largest venues on the Park, its completion with a year to go is a great achievement, and is yet another example of businesses across the country coming together to deliver for the United Kingdom.”
- 1 Police bid to trace man in connection with Tube station sex assault
- 2 Jailed: Bethnal Green man who tried to buy hand grenade to use on police
- 3 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 4 'We need more Covid vaccines,' Tower Hamlets mayor warns
- 5 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 6 Rabina Khan: What we must do five years on from Brexit referendum
- 7 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 8 Unmesh Desai: 'Councillor's sudden death leaves huge void'
- 9 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 10 Whitechapel lab to research East End's high throat cancer rates
The announcement of the IBC’s completion came as the Olympic Delivery Authority delivered its annual report.