International Broadcast Centre is the fifth Olympic venue to be completed
The construction of the International Broadcast Centre at the 2012 Olympic Park has been finished, it was announced today. It is the fifth Olympic venue to be completed.
The 24-hour media hub will form part of the Main Media Complex, which also includes the Main Press Centre.
The complex will cater for over 20,000 broadcasters, photographers and print journalists bringing the Games to an estimated four billion people worldwide. At 275 metre long and 104 metre wide the 21 metre tall buildings is big enough to house five jumbo jets.
The ODA says the building has been designed to be as “flexible as possible” to accommodate a range of potential tenants and uses after the Games.
A High Street with retail, leisure and support service outlets is being created to cater exclusively for accredited press and broadcasters.
You may also want to watch:
The complex will also have a catering village and a multi-storey car park linking the IBC and MPC together via a structure that includes a conference room for up to 700 people.
Olympics Minister Hugh Robertson said: “The IBC is fundamental to the worldwide success of the Games housing thousands of the world’s media and sending pictures right across the world. As one of the largest venues on the Park, its completion with a year to go is a great achievement, and is yet another example of businesses across the country coming together to deliver for the United Kingdom.”
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 3 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 4 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 5 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 6 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 8 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 9 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 10 Families start moving out of unsafe tower block in Bow
The announcement of the IBC’s completion came as the Olympic Delivery Authority delivered its annual report.