International Broadcast Centre is the fifth Olympic venue to be completed
The construction of the International Broadcast Centre at the 2012 Olympic Park has been finished, it was announced today. It is the fifth Olympic venue to be completed.
The 24-hour media hub will form part of the Main Media Complex, which also includes the Main Press Centre.
The complex will cater for over 20,000 broadcasters, photographers and print journalists bringing the Games to an estimated four billion people worldwide. At 275 metre long and 104 metre wide the 21 metre tall buildings is big enough to house five jumbo jets.
The ODA says the building has been designed to be as “flexible as possible” to accommodate a range of potential tenants and uses after the Games.
A High Street with retail, leisure and support service outlets is being created to cater exclusively for accredited press and broadcasters.
You may also want to watch:
The complex will also have a catering village and a multi-storey car park linking the IBC and MPC together via a structure that includes a conference room for up to 700 people.
Olympics Minister Hugh Robertson said: “The IBC is fundamental to the worldwide success of the Games housing thousands of the world’s media and sending pictures right across the world. As one of the largest venues on the Park, its completion with a year to go is a great achievement, and is yet another example of businesses across the country coming together to deliver for the United Kingdom.”
- 1 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 2 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 7 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 8 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 9 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
The announcement of the IBC’s completion came as the Olympic Delivery Authority delivered its annual report.