Inua Ellams appointed Tower of London’s official poet for 2018
- Credit: Henry Nicholls
A new ‘poet in residence’ has been appointed at the historic Tower of London for 2018.
Writer, artist and performer Inua Ellams, 34, is to run a year-long programme of “thought provoking” events at the royal palace.
The Nigerian-born writer and performer, the first to hold the post, is to curate a series of poetry, spoken word and performance events called Confessions at The Tower, mixing historic records with real confessions.
“The Tower represents aspects of Britain’s past which have shaped its history,” Inua says. “But these themes are also a problem in a modern context such as power and control, colonial wealth, and torture.
“I’ll be able to commission and curate writers and performers to articulate the complexities of The Tower’s history and its relevance today.”
You may also want to watch:
The 34-year-old takes up the role at The Tower following a sell-out run at the National Theatre for his fourth play Barber Shop Chronicles and having recently won the Liberty Human Rights award for another play, An Evening with an Immigrant.
Ellams is also to feature in Historic Royal Palace’s second podcast series, Outliers, a selection of historical fiction stories on the people hiding in the shadows of real events.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 3 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 10 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single