Island Gardens Cllr Peter Golds says Tower Hamlets Town Hall has failed
- Credit: Archant
There has been much hot air from the Rahman administration about what the devastating PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) report on best value actually says. Here are some actual facts.
PwC have concluded that with regard to grant making the authority has failed to comply with it’s best value duty and there has been a lack of transparency over the decisions to grant awards, indeed grants were awarded to roganisations which were actually ruled ineligible by Independent officers.
The authority is found to have failed to comply with its best value duty in the disposal of the former Poplar Town Hall, the Mellish Street site and the former Sutton Street Depot.
The authority is criticised, as it was by Ofcom, for spending money inappropriately on political adverts for the mayor on supportive TV stations.
PwC noted that even the council’s Internal Audit functions has found instances of procurement policies and procedures which have not been adhered to.
You may also want to watch:
Finally, in an extremely critical paragraph, PwC have found that governance arrangements do not appear to be capable of preventing or responding appropriately to the failures of best value duty.
This is a wake up call for the administration to work within accepted processes on behalf of all residents of this borough, something the Rahman administration has not been doing over the past four years. The council will, as noted in the report and in Parliament, need to fill the vacant chief officer positions permanent and independent office holders to oversee the delivery of executive policy. More from Peter Golds
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 3 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower