Island Gardens Cllr Peter Golds tells us what he expects of the new Mayor
- Credit: Archant
The new Mayor, alongside his majority Labour council has now taken office in Tower Hamlets. We wish them well in the tasks ahead, but residents will expect a change of direction in the management of the council.
The new administration cannot allow the recent history of mis-management to go away. It will not, and there needs to be a thorough cleansing of the operation of the authority. This in itself will make political decisions and policy easier. Governance is tested on scrutiny and the strength of the opposition. There is a reason under the UK’s unwritten constitution as to why the opposition is called the ‘loyal opposition’ and as to why it is granted both status and certain privileges. It is not only expected to be the Government in waiting, but to test the government of the day on a regular basis on the delivery and implementation of policy.
A system where opposition is muted soon lapses into malfunction and worse. The failure to accept any contrary opinion was what eventually sent the former administration into the spiral of corruption which must still be fully investigated.
Looking at the national scene, the tragic legacy of the Iraq war bought untold death and political instability to a whole region as well as the collateral political damage in this country.
The delay in the release of the Chilcot Report into the conflict is a scandal and the whole nation deserves to know how and why this disastrous conflict was undertaken.
You may also want to watch:
When we actually know exactly what happened, and only when, can we reach closure on Britain’s biggest foreign policy disaster since Munich.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week