Families evacuated after gas leak in the Isle of Dogs
- Credit: Archant
A major gas leak has closed roads and seen families evacuated from their homes.
Tower Hamlets police has urged people to be patient and avoid Limeharbour as officers, paramedics and firefighters deal with the leak.
London Fire Brigade (LFB) was called at after midday today (September 10) to reports of a ruptured gas main.
An LFB spokeswoman said: "About 500 people have been evacuated from the surrounding buildings as a precaution."
Four fire engines and crews from Poplar, Whitechapel, Plaistow and Millwall are at the scene with 25 firefighters on standby.
You may also want to watch:
DLR services between South Quay and Crossharbour have also been halted due to the leak.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 4 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 5 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 10 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park