It child’s play for dads at special Tower Hamlets fun day
- Credit: Archant
The positive role fathers and carers can have in their childrens’ upbringing was highlighted at a special ‘Dads’ Playday’ with free activities for them and their kids.
Around 50 men enjoyed a variey of activities at the event at the Museum of Docklnds in Limehouse last week organised by the Parental Engagement Team at Tower Hamlets Council in partnership with the museum.
They included making and sailing their own boat, story time and taking part in an interactive show exploring London’s past.
For many youngsters the highlight of the day was learning how to be a pirate and meeting a real Captain Blackbeard in the guise of an actor who put on a performance for families.
The event was also significant for featuring the launch of the Tower Hamlets Dads’ Network, which supports and encourages dads and male carers to strengthen relationships with their children through positive parenting and play.
As well as the play days, members receive updates about national and local information in connection with family life and parenting and have opportunities for developing their parenting skills.
Mayor of Tower Hamlets Lutfur Rahman said: “As a father myself, I know how important it is for dads to enjoy spending time with their children.
- 1 Archie Battersbee dies: Hospital staff showed 'extraordinary compassion'
- 2 Investigation under way after fire and explosion at Shoreditch block
- 3 Canary Wharf Underground station stabbing leaves man in hospital
- 4 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 5 Leyton Orient 'don't really need' Forest Green Rovers cup tie says Wellens
- 6 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 7 'Ruthless' killer sentenced for Isle of Dogs murder
- 8 Teenager, 17, arrested after car crashes into Bow apartment building
- 9 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 10 We need a couple of bodies says Leyton Orient boss Wellens
“I am proud that this council is investing in strengthening these vital relationships.”