It child’s play for dads at special Tower Hamlets fun day
- Credit: Archant
The positive role fathers and carers can have in their childrens’ upbringing was highlighted at a special ‘Dads’ Playday’ with free activities for them and their kids.
Around 50 men enjoyed a variey of activities at the event at the Museum of Docklnds in Limehouse last week organised by the Parental Engagement Team at Tower Hamlets Council in partnership with the museum.
They included making and sailing their own boat, story time and taking part in an interactive show exploring London’s past.
For many youngsters the highlight of the day was learning how to be a pirate and meeting a real Captain Blackbeard in the guise of an actor who put on a performance for families.
The event was also significant for featuring the launch of the Tower Hamlets Dads’ Network, which supports and encourages dads and male carers to strengthen relationships with their children through positive parenting and play.
You may also want to watch:
As well as the play days, members receive updates about national and local information in connection with family life and parenting and have opportunities for developing their parenting skills.
Mayor of Tower Hamlets Lutfur Rahman said: “As a father myself, I know how important it is for dads to enjoy spending time with their children.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 7 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 8 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 9 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 10 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
“I am proud that this council is investing in strengthening these vital relationships.”