It’s common sense closing gates on Brick Lane’s hijab’ arches
Dear Ed, COMMON sense has prevailed over those dreadful Brick Lane hijab’ arches, but only for a whileand only to save the blushes of divisive councillors with an outdated cultural agenda
COMMON sense has prevailed over those dreadful Brick Lane 'hijab' arches, but only for a while
and only to save the blushes of divisive councillors with an extremely outdated cultural agenda.
Still, having temporarily closed one set of gates, we've got to make sure the backward-looking Islamists exposed in Channel 4's Dispatches programme don't sneak in by the back door with another set.
You may also want to watch:
It is quite clear they have set their sights on having a directly-elected mayor for Tower Hamlets. Hence the supine local support from the likes of Ken Livingstone and MP George Galloway.
The idea of an elected mayor is a good one. But not here in Tower Hamlets. Those ghastly gates are a reminder that normal politics simply don't apply here.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 'Grief and queer coming of age' theatre show to be put on for London Horror Festival
- 7 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 10 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
Deal Street, Spitalfields