Jalal is Lib Dem choice for London mayor
A FORMER deputy leader of Tower Hamlets council has been selected Liberal Democrat candidate for the London Assembly s City and London East seat. Rajonuddin Jalal was a councillor from 1990 to 1998, when as Deputy Leader he chaired the Town Hall s regener
A FORMER deputy leader of Tower Hamlets council has been selected Liberal Democrat candidate for the London Assembly's City and London East seat.
Rajonuddin Jalal was a councillor from 1990 to 1998, when as Deputy Leader he chaired the Town Hall's regeneration committee.
He was also the East End's representative on the former London Docklands Development Corporation which oversaw the massive Docklands regeneration in the 1990s.
But now Jalal, a regeneration officer for another London local authority, has turned his attention to the East End's ethnic Asian and other minority communities.
You may also want to watch:
"The gap between rich and poor in City and East London under Ken Livingstone has widened," he said.
"The Mayor of London has given away millions of taxpayers' money - but how many black, Asian and ethnic minority Londoners have better opportunities because of it?
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 2 Refugee fighting £2,850 claim in lettings agency dispute
- 3 Cyclist in critical condition after 'serious collision' in Bow
- 4 Shoppers queue for bread on opening weekend of new Wapping street market
- 5 Shops reopening after lockdown now fear council rent hikes
- 6 Unmesh Desai: British Bangladeshi community is important part of the East End
- 7 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 8 Leyton Orient still not at the level top sides are says boss Jobi McAnuff
- 9 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 10 Volunteers take food for Ramadan to neighbours on Isle of Dogs
"The priorities are homelessness, overcrowding and the housing needs of young people."
He is calling for "better targeted" funds aimed at ethnic minorities.