Jenson Button and Vernon Kay complete London Triathlon
FORMULA one champion Jenson Button was among the competitors to take on the challenge of the London Triathlon at the weekend. Thousands of spectators lined the streets of the East End and packed into the Excel Centre to watch the event which consisted o
FORMULA one champion Jenson Button was among the competitors to take on the challenge of the London Triathlon at the weekend.
Thousands of spectators lined the streets of the East End and packed into the Excel Centre to watch the event which consisted of a 750km swim, 20km cycle and 5km run.
And despite battling with tonsillitis all week, Button managed to cross the finishing line in just over two hours and 14 minutes, putting him fourth out of the 570 competitors in his group.
The McLaren driver later wrote on the interactive Twitter site: "Great day at the London Triathlon.
You may also want to watch:
"Suffered quite a bit on the run due to just being physically drained I guess from the antibiotics. Still reasonably happy with the result though."
He raised the money for the children's charity Make-A-Wish Foundation.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 8 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
Around 11,000 people completed the course in total, including TV presenter Vernon Kay who looked triumphant as he crossed the finish line.