Jenson Button and Vernon Kay complete London Triathlon
FORMULA one champion Jenson Button was among the competitors to take on the challenge of the London Triathlon at the weekend. Thousands of spectators lined the streets of the East End and packed into the Excel Centre to watch the event which consisted o
FORMULA one champion Jenson Button was among the competitors to take on the challenge of the London Triathlon at the weekend.
Thousands of spectators lined the streets of the East End and packed into the Excel Centre to watch the event which consisted of a 750km swim, 20km cycle and 5km run.
And despite battling with tonsillitis all week, Button managed to cross the finishing line in just over two hours and 14 minutes, putting him fourth out of the 570 competitors in his group.
The McLaren driver later wrote on the interactive Twitter site: "Great day at the London Triathlon.
"Suffered quite a bit on the run due to just being physically drained I guess from the antibiotics. Still reasonably happy with the result though."
He raised the money for the children's charity Make-A-Wish Foundation.
- 1 Japanese udon noodles chain to mark Canary Wharf opening with free bowls
- 2 New Kray twins book to explore lives of gangsters 'aside from the crimes'
- 3 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery
- 4 Bow man accused of carrying out fatal hammer attack appears at Old Bailey
- 5 Riverside park extension above new sewage structures given green light
- 6 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 7 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 8 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 9 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 10 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
Around 11,000 people completed the course in total, including TV presenter Vernon Kay who looked triumphant as he crossed the finish line.