Jeremy Bowen lectures Queen Mary students in Islam & The West
The BBC’s Middle East editor Jeremy Bowen—first British journalist to interview Gaddafi since the start of the Libyan uprising—is speaking to university students in London’s East End tomorrow (Wed) about ‘Islam and the West’.
His lecture at Queen Mary’s University of London college campus at Mile End is the first in a series to mark the start of its Masters course in Islam, which covers everything from the Crusades to Islamic terrorism.
“Jeremy very much has his finger on the pulse of the Middle East,” said Dr Tom Asbridge from the college’s School of History.
“He offers a unique perspective through his well-honed journalistic expertise and background as a published author in the field.”
The MA course explores the fundamental issue of the relationship between Islam and the western world, charting a 1,400-year period from the birth of the Muslim faith in the seventh century to the present day, going beyond spheres of politics, warfare and religion. It involves shared knowledge in science, maths and astronomy.
You may also want to watch:
“Students are taught by experts in specialist fields,” Dr Asbridge explained. “These cover migration, literature, the modern Middle East, the Crusades, Medieval Islam, Sharia Law and Islamic terrorism.”
Jeremy Bowen, who has been a war correspondent for much of his career reporting from 70 countries, mostly in the Middle East and in the Balkans, won the ‘News Story of the Year’ award on the arrest of Saddam Hussein two years ago and an International Emmy for his BBC coverage of the 2006 Lebanon War.
- 1 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 2 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 3 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 5 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 6 Authorities urged to act against 'terrifying' Isle of Dogs car races
- 7 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 8 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 9 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 10 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing