Jim Fitzpatrick MP calls for wild animals to be banned from circuses
- Credit: Archant
Jim Fitzpatrick has called for a ban on wild animals in circuses.
The MP for Poplar and Limehouse tabled an early day motion to take urgent action after little progress was made since a bill was drafted last year.
The motion won support from representatives of different parties, with 20 MPs signing it.
He said: “It has now been almost three years since Parliament voted unanimously for a ban.
“The Government should do what it promised and include the bill in the Queen’s Speech so we can get on and end this outdated practice before the general election.”
You may also want to watch:
In June 2011, the Government pledged a ban following a unanimous vote in a backbench business committee debate, which was sparked by revelations of violence towards a circus elephant.
Only two circuses still perform with wild animals in Britain, and there are restrictions on the use of animals in 200 local authorities in the UK and 27 countries worldwide.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 4 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 7 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 10 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges