Jim Fitzpatrick presents green-fingered duo with award
Two green-fingered champions of the East London Flower Show were presented with their prize by MP for Poplar and Limehouse Jim Fitzpatrick last week.
Ken Davies and Melvyn Smith, who tend to the organic garden at Winterton House, Stepney, were announced show champions at the first ever show, after fighting off competition from around 30 other gardeners from across East London.
The duo were praised for their vegetable, fruit and flower displays at the show, organised by the East London Garden Society. The society was founded by Geoff Juden last year, and aims to promote gardening across the East End.
Upon receiving his prize, Melvyn said: “We’re absolutely thrilled to have won. It’s thanks not just to us, but all the work put into the garden by residents and allotment-holders attached to the garden.
“The garden has been transformed from being an unloved space three years ago into a thriving garden with vegetables, flowers, and poultry.”
You may also want to watch:
Cranbrook Community Garden in Globe Town won the prize for The Best Garden in East London, with the Eric Estate Garden in Mile End as runner-up.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 8 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 9 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 10 'Utterly horrific': Tower Hamlets MPs react to Sir David Amess stabbing