Jim Fitzpatrick presents green-fingered duo with award
Two green-fingered champions of the East London Flower Show were presented with their prize by MP for Poplar and Limehouse Jim Fitzpatrick last week.
Ken Davies and Melvyn Smith, who tend to the organic garden at Winterton House, Stepney, were announced show champions at the first ever show, after fighting off competition from around 30 other gardeners from across East London.
The duo were praised for their vegetable, fruit and flower displays at the show, organised by the East London Garden Society. The society was founded by Geoff Juden last year, and aims to promote gardening across the East End.
Upon receiving his prize, Melvyn said: “We’re absolutely thrilled to have won. It’s thanks not just to us, but all the work put into the garden by residents and allotment-holders attached to the garden.
“The garden has been transformed from being an unloved space three years ago into a thriving garden with vegetables, flowers, and poultry.”
You may also want to watch:
Cranbrook Community Garden in Globe Town won the prize for The Best Garden in East London, with the Eric Estate Garden in Mile End as runner-up.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 5 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 6 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 7 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 8 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 9 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 10 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park