Job in Docklands advertised entirely in Polish
- Credit: Archant
A job-seeker was left left furious when he came across a vacancy in the Docklands advertised in Polish.
Appearing on the government’s Jobcentre Plus website, the advert was for “labourer” in “Docklands, London” - but the rest of the text was in Polish.
A wage of £6 was offered for the role, which is 19p below the minumum wage for those aged 21 and over.
The 64-year-old man, who asked not to be named, was shocked by the discovery.
He said: “A job like that should be open to everyone not just those who can speak Polish. There are so many people who need work at the moment like my grandson – it isn’t right that the job is being advertised to one nationality.
“My grandson was on my computer and saw that there was a labourer job going - but he didn’t have a clue what it said”, he added.
The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) confirmed all vacancies must offer the minimum wage and be advertised in English and accordingly removed the advert from its site.
- 1 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 2 'Ruthless' killer sentenced for Isle of Dogs murder
- 3 Man 'seriously injured' after e-scooter fall
- 4 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 5 Hard-working Leyton Orient 'nowhere near best' in Mansfield win says Wellens
- 6 Canary Wharf Underground station stabbing leaves man in hospital
- 7 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 8 Investigation under way after fire and explosion at Shoreditch block
- 9 Thousands attend UK Black Pride event in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
- 10 Teenager, 17, arrested after car crashes into Bow apartment building
The vacancy had also been posted on job board CV-Library.co.uk.
A spokesman from CV-Library said the post was taken down when they noticed it was in Polish and added: “We flagged this up with the recruiter [who posted the advert] who explained that the employer who owns the construction site is a Polish man who doesn’t speak any English.
“Due to health and safety reasons he therefore needs to employ someone who speaks Polish. CV-Library explained that the job description needs to be written in English but he can state in it that the candidate must speak fluent Polish.”