Jobi jets off again
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO
Orient winger confident of achieving something ‘special’ at Gold Cup with Jamaica
Jobi McAnuff’s busy summer will be continuing after it was confirmed the 33-year-old had been included in Jamaica’s 23-man squad for the Gold Cup in the United States and Canada taking place later his month.
Fresh from taking part in all three of the Reggae Boyz games in the Copa America last month, he will be involved in the Gold Cup alongside 11 other CONCACAF nations with the tournament starting on July 7 (Tuesday) and finishing on July 26 – less than two weeks before the League Two campaign starts.
East Ham’s Michael Hector, of Reading, has also been included alongside the O’s midfielder and the pair will be aiming to help Jamaica triumph on the big stage.
It means McAnuff will have plenty of match fitness for the start of the new season, but will miss out on impressing new head coach Ian Hendon first hand at Orient’s Chigwell training ground.
You may also want to watch:
He is, however, relishing the prospect of representing his country again and building on their Copa America exploits.
“I love playing for Jamaica first and foremost,” said McAnuff. “It gives me a buzz every time I put on that jersey.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 6 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 9 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
“The Copa America was a building block for Jamaican football to move forward with the Gold Cup coming up and the World Cup qualifiers. Hopefully we’ll do something really special.
“We need to keep the bulk of the squad together going into the Gold Cup and have a good performance there, which we’re confident of.”