Jobs: Children’s centre job for volunteer after Wapping role
- Credit: Archant
Residents can gain skills and experience to help them land a new job by volunteering with Tower Hamlets Council.
Asma Begum got a job as Family Support Worker at Around Poplar Children’s Centre after volunteering at its Parents’ Forum in Wapping for four months.
Asma’s role saw her take part in a range of projects, such as setting up first aid courses, fundraising for a new building and community outreach.
It gave her the chance to develop her public speaking skills and ability to work to engage with members of a community, working with parents to identify the issues affecting local families.
It also gave Asma the confidence to complete a childcare course in 2012 which helped secure her current job.
You may also want to watch:
Asma said: “I would recommend volunteering activities to anyone who wants to learn new skills, try something new – or just give back to the community.”
Anne Canning, service head for learning and achievement said: “I would like to thank our children’s centre volunteers for their dedication and for ensuring that the voices of children and families continue to shape our services.”
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 8 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
For more information on training and employment contact the council’s careers service on 020 7364 0626 or visit towerhamlets.gov.uk.