Jobs: Mum lands creche job in Wapping after volunteering with council
- Credit: Archant
People who volunteer with Tower Hamlets Council can gain skills and experience to help them land a new job.
The ongoing opportunity was highlighted by the council as it celebrated Volunteers’ Week from June 1 to 7 with an event to showcase the hard work and commitment of volunteers in the borough’s children’s centres.
Mother-of-three Helen Begum was hired as creche worker at Wapping Children’s Centre after volunteering for a year at the John Smith Children’s Centre in Stepney.
Her voluntary work as a play and learning worker, along with a Cache Level 3 childcare course, helped her realise she had the skills and knowledge to apply for paid roles in childcare.
Helen said: “The volunteering work that I did
You may also want to watch:
really did provide a good foundation for my chosen career. It is a great combination of learning and working.”
The Volunteers week event on June 3 at the Tarling East Community Centre in Shadwell featured the screening of a film about volunteering and fun activities for children.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 3 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 4 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 5 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 6 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 7 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 8 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 9 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 10 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
Anne Canning, Service Head for Learning and Achievement said: “I would like to thank our children’s centre volunteers for their dedication, and for ensuring that the voices of children and families continue to shape our services.”
For more visit towerhamlets.gov.uk.