Jobs: Mum lands creche job in Wapping after volunteering with council
- Credit: Archant
People who volunteer with Tower Hamlets Council can gain skills and experience to help them land a new job.
The ongoing opportunity was highlighted by the council as it celebrated Volunteers’ Week from June 1 to 7 with an event to showcase the hard work and commitment of volunteers in the borough’s children’s centres.
Mother-of-three Helen Begum was hired as creche worker at Wapping Children’s Centre after volunteering for a year at the John Smith Children’s Centre in Stepney.
Her voluntary work as a play and learning worker, along with a Cache Level 3 childcare course, helped her realise she had the skills and knowledge to apply for paid roles in childcare.
Helen said: “The volunteering work that I did
You may also want to watch:
really did provide a good foundation for my chosen career. It is a great combination of learning and working.”
The Volunteers week event on June 3 at the Tarling East Community Centre in Shadwell featured the screening of a film about volunteering and fun activities for children.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 8 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 10 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
Anne Canning, Service Head for Learning and Achievement said: “I would like to thank our children’s centre volunteers for their dedication, and for ensuring that the voices of children and families continue to shape our services.”
For more visit towerhamlets.gov.uk.