John is UK coffee roasting champion 2nd year running
John Gordon is still king of coffee roasters after seeing off hot competition to keep his reigning champion ‘UK Barista’ title.
He proved his weight in coffee beans again by winning the championship for the second year in a row for the stuff he produces at Bethnal Green’s Square Mile coffee roasting business.
John was crowned ‘UK Barista Champion’ at the IFE11 international food and drink exhibition at East London’s ExCel centre on Wednesday by the Speciality Coffee Association of Europe—a man with his fierce knowledge and passion for coffee which ‘percolated’ through his presentation to the judges.
Two technical and four sensory judges sampled his espressos, cappuccinos and non-alcoholic ‘signature’ drinks and grilled him on his knowledge and attention to detail.
‘Baristas’ talk with passion about their coffees, describing the flavours and aromas from the combinations in their cups.
You may also want to watch:
His ‘signature’ drink is based on a variation of a whisky sour with a twist of lemon, peach syrup, poured over ice with espresso and a hop spray—but without the whisky. No alcohol can be used.
John, who was always a hot contender to retain his title, is now looking forward to the World Barista Championship in June in Colombia—home of Latin American coffee beans.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 5 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 6 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 7 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 8 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 9 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 10 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week