John is UK coffee roasting champion 2nd year running
John Gordon is still king of coffee roasters after seeing off hot competition to keep his reigning champion ‘UK Barista’ title.
He proved his weight in coffee beans again by winning the championship for the second year in a row for the stuff he produces at Bethnal Green’s Square Mile coffee roasting business.
John was crowned ‘UK Barista Champion’ at the IFE11 international food and drink exhibition at East London’s ExCel centre on Wednesday by the Speciality Coffee Association of Europe—a man with his fierce knowledge and passion for coffee which ‘percolated’ through his presentation to the judges.
Two technical and four sensory judges sampled his espressos, cappuccinos and non-alcoholic ‘signature’ drinks and grilled him on his knowledge and attention to detail.
‘Baristas’ talk with passion about their coffees, describing the flavours and aromas from the combinations in their cups.
You may also want to watch:
His ‘signature’ drink is based on a variation of a whisky sour with a twist of lemon, peach syrup, poured over ice with espresso and a hop spray—but without the whisky. No alcohol can be used.
John, who was always a hot contender to retain his title, is now looking forward to the World Barista Championship in June in Colombia—home of Latin American coffee beans.
- 1 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 3 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 4 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 5 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 6 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 8 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 9 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 10 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start