John Wright is Wapping’s unsung hero
Dear Ed... ONE person you need to know about that came to mind when I saw your New Year headline ‘Heroes we want to see on our Honours List ‘ is John Wright, from the Glamis Estate here in Wapping.
He has the odd letter in the Advertiser from time to time, but I really do feel this is one man who deserves more recognition than he is getting.
John is vice chairman of our residents’ association, fighting for the underdog as well as putting the powers that be in their place. He does not expect much in life, but always seems to be helping others and giving things out to people on the estate.
I put his name forward for ‘tenant of the year’ at East End Homes in November, but think it went to an elderly gardener woman.
Just recently, I put John’s name forward for a T0wer Hamlets citizens’ award. He doesn’t know I do this.
You may also want to watch:
John is a ‘one off’ who is always cheerful and prepared to listen. He runs our estate Karioke and bingo on Fridays at Glamis Hall. He used to be an entertainer on the boats and has sailed the High Seas for years.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week