‘Justice for Luther Edwards’ peace march a year on from York Hall murder
- Credit: Mike Brooke
A peace march and rally is being staged to mark a year since the murder of father-of-two Luther Edwards on the steps of east London’s York Hall whose killers are still at large.
The rally is being staged in memory of the 31-year-old who was stabbed as spectators were leaving a Friday night boxing event in the Bethnal Green venue on July 29 last year.
No-one has ever been charged with his murder, despite detectives over the subsequent months questioning nine suspects, mostly in their 20s.
Police had hit a “wall of silence” in their appeal for witnesses or anyone with information.
Sunday’s “march for peace” is part of a campaign aimed at ending knife crime across London.
You may also want to watch:
“This violence needs to stop,” Luther’s cousin Angeleen Hill tells Thursday’s East London Advertiser. “We as a community need to come together and make our voice heard. We are calling for help and support.”
The march begins at Clapham Common south side at 1pm, close to where Luther lived with his two daughters, the youngest just 11 months, and heads to Brixton to St Mathew’s Church Peace Garden, ending 5pm.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 5 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 6 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 7 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 Surplus DLR land released at Bow for new housing to tackle homes shortage
- 10 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
Scotland Yard confirmed to the Advertiser today that t
The family was told in June that the murder inquiry was closed. But Scotland Yard told the Advertiser today that the investigation was still continuing with none of the nine who have been questioned being discharged.
Det Chief Insp Laurence Smith said three months into the murder hunt: “Someone knows those responsible for denying Luther’s two children from ever seeing their father again.
“The answer is somewhere in the community. I understand people may have concerns about speaking to the police—but shielding and protecting those responsible is not the answer. They should do the right thing.”
Luther was attacked by a mob as he left York Hall who chased him across Cambridge Heath Road to the BP petrol station forecourt opposite, where he collapsed in a pool of blood.
He was rushed to the Royal London Hospital, but died an hour later from a stab wound to the heart.
York Hall remained closed that weekend and Old Ford Road cordoned off as forensic officers examined the crime scene.
Now the family are pressing for police action knowing Luther’s killers are at large.