Edinburgh happy with Bonne and Alabi partnership heading into O’s league opener
- Credit: David Simpson/TGS Photo
The former Gillingham boss also provided an update on the fitness of Dale Gorman and Matt Harrold
Leyton Orient head coach Justin Edinburgh was encouraged with the performance of forward pair Macauley Bonne and James Alabi during Saturday’s 2-2 friendly draw with Southend United.
The O’s attackers both netted to cancel out earlier efforts from Jason Demetriou and Tom Hopper.
It was not the first time Bonne and Alabi had scored for Orient this summer and bodes well for the start of the National League campaign on August 4.
Edinburgh said: “As pre-season has gone on James and ‘Macca’ have started to look like a partnership.
You may also want to watch:
“We don’t want anyone to peak now, it is a long season and there was a lot of good intention in our play against Southend and throughout pre-season, but probably not the right execution at times and with them two as well.
“Looking at this game, I think there was a better understanding in James and ‘Macca’s’ play which is pleasing.”
- 1 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 9 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel
Although Orient’s pre-season is officially over now, Edinburgh will send an XI to Greenwich Borough this evening.
The hosts ply their trade in the Bostik South and used to be managed by ex-forward Gary Alexander with John Mackie his assistant.
Orient sent a full squad to Badgers Sports Ground last pre-season and ran out winners by a 2-1 scoreline with David Mooney and Bonne on target.
Speaking after Saturday’s draw with Southend, Edinburgh confirmed summer signing Dale Gorman will make his first outing for the club tonight.
Matt Harrold is unlikely to play, but is edging closer to full fitness and should be part of the group again soon.
The likes of Sam Sargeant, Shadrach Ogie, Ruel Sotiriou and Charles Clayden are set to feature in the 7.45pm kick-off.
Edinburgh added: “Dale will play at Greenwich and if it had been the latter part of the week, Matt would have played as well, so that’s the big plus for me.
“We have had very minimal injuries in pre-season and that is what you plan for and it is credit to the medical team and the boys who have been out because they are not too far away now.”