Karate kids bring gold and silver glory home to East End’s Kaizen Ryu club
- Credit: E/Lond Karate Club
Two youngsters from east London’s top karate club aged 11 and 16 have won two gold medals each in a national contest competing against 400 competitors.
They were part of a squad of 10 winning gold and silver for Bethnal Green’s Kaizen Ryu karate club, at the TKF Northern Open staged in Bradford on Saturday.
They took an incredible 17 medals with every member contributing to the count.
James Duran, 11, dominated his division to gain gold in the morning, then went on to take his second gold in the sparring staged in the afternoon.
Gina Boot, 16, obtained silver in the Junior Female Open, but went on to win gold in the Senior Female Open, then her a second gold in kumite.
You may also want to watch:
Poplar’s Tyrone Briscoe, now 17—once dubbed ‘the Karate Kid’ with seven world championship titles at the age of 13—won gold in the Junior Male Open, then added a silver to his tally.
Gold medals were won by Gedville Juodvalkyte, 11, and Jacob Willmore, 14. Instructors Jasmine David, 22, and Indran Tanabalan, 33, each took gold in the Senior Open bouts.
- 1 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 2 Study asks: why are canals and rivers a watery lifeline during pandemic?
- 3 Building new tower block starts on Limehouse Triangle 'wildlife site'
- 4 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 5 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 6 Report reveals scale of support offered by council during Covid crisis
- 7 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 10 Stolen bikes being recycled in Mile End by police
Silver medals went to Adrian Wrezel, 8, Paul Kancleris, 11, and Tyrique Porter, 10.
The kumite sparring in the afternoon brought more glory for the team as Gedville Juodvalkyte, Paul Kancleris and Jacob Willmore won silvers.
The team is looking strong going for the TKF National championships at Crystal Palace in November.