Kids beat grown-ups to Marathon finish—hours before!
THOUSANDS of schoolkids took part in Sunday’s London Marathon—or at least, the last three miles it it. The children representing the London boroughs took to the streets early, long before the grown-ups came puffing and panting by, to run the annual London Mini’ marathon
THOUSANDS of schoolkids took part in Sunday’s London Marathon—or at least, the last three miles of it.
The children representing the London boroughs took to the streets early, long before the grown-ups came puffing and panting by, to run the annual London Mini’ marathon.
More than 2,000 set off from Old Billingsgate near London Bridge to the finishing line in The Mall, in front of Buckingham Palace. They romped home safely, several hours before the adults arrived.
You may also want to watch:
The youngsters included 42 from the East End selected in area heats at Tower Hamlets, divided into age groups 11 to 12, 13-14 and 15-17 with 260 children in each.
Among them was Lauren Elstone from Bethnal Green’s Morpeth Secondary School, who finished 163rd in the girls’ 15-17 age group and got to meet British track and filed champion athlete Mo Farah who currently holds the UK indoor 3,000 metres record.
- 1 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 2 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 3 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 4 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 5 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 6 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 7 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum
- 8 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 9 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 10 Hundreds of boilers break down in the East End during pandemic
Fastest time among the Tower Hamlets pupils was Joseph Peat, at 17mins 41secs, who came in 79th in the boys’ 15-17 age group, closely followed by Ahmed Zakairiya who finished 101st at 17mins 55secs.