Kids help Vicky Park bid to get a �12m make-over
TOWN Hall bosses are putting in their bid today for cash to revamp East London’s famous Victoria Park. It follows months of public consultation including 200 schoolchildren who sent in their drawings on what they want to see in Vicky Park
TOWN Hall bosses are putting in their bid today for cash to revamp East London's famous Victoria Park.
It follows months of public consultation including 200 schoolchildren who sent in their drawings to Tower Hamlets council on what they want to see in Vicky Park.
The funding bid is being submitted to a fanfare as a look-a-like Queen Victoria, along with horse and carriage, tours the park this lunchtime.
The local authority is hoping to get �6 million 'match' funding from the �90 million 'Parks and People' joint project by the Big Lottery Fund and the Heritage Lottery Fund.
A total of �12 million would be invested in Victoria Park if the bid is successful, the single biggest investment in the park since its creation in the 1840s.
You may also want to watch:
The works would be completed in mid-2012, in time to showcase the very best of East London's heritage on the world stage of the Olympic Games.
- 1 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 2 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 3 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 6 New pizza restaurant opening with drag and disco party
- 7 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines