Killers get life for East End murder of teenage girl and gran
TWO young thugs who murdered teenager Shannen Vickers and her gran by setting fire to their home in London's East End have been jailed today (Monday) for 25 years each. Jake Sheehan, 20, and David Philip, 19, were convicted by an Old Bailey jury of double murder
TWO young thugs who murdered teenager Shannen Vickers and her gran by setting fire to their home in London’s East End have been jailed today (Monday) for 25 years each.
Jake Sheehan, 20, and David Philip, 19, were convicted by an Old Bailey jury of double murder on Friday after a three-week trial and returned for sentence this-afternoon.
They had poured petrol through the letterbox of the flat in Bethnal Green’s Malmesbury high-rise block of flats at 5.30am on January 22 while 17-year-old Shannen and her grandmum Pauline Adams, 57, were asleep.
Their helpless victims were overcome by smoke as they lay side by side in the bedroom of the fifth floor flat.
You may also want to watch:
Philip and Sheehan, who blamed each other for the attack, had vowed revenge after losing a fight with Pauline Adams’ grandson in a row over �15.
Judge Richard Hawkins ordered them to serve a minimum 25 years behind bars. They will both be in their 40s, twice their age, before they can even apply for parole.
- 1 Tower Hamlets youth worker on lack of funding for vital services
- 2 Unmesh Desai: 'Councillor's sudden death leaves huge void'
- 3 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 4 Jailed: Bethnal Green man who tried to buy hand grenade to use on police
- 5 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 6 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 7 Police bid to trace man in connection with Tube station sex assault
- 8 Potential strike action could hit Tower Hamlets Council services
- 9 Rabina Khan: What we must do five years on from Brexit referendum
- 10 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
He told them: “Both of you lost street credit so you decided to take revenge and set fire to the flat regardless of who died, intent on killing those inside.
“You also struck at the heart of Nicola Vickers who has lost a mother and daughter.”
Relatives in the public gallery applauded and shouted “scum” as the two young killers were led down to the cells.