Killers get life for East End murder of teenage girl and gran
TWO young thugs who murdered teenager Shannen Vickers and her gran by setting fire to their home in London's East End have been jailed today (Monday) for 25 years each. Jake Sheehan, 20, and David Philip, 19, were convicted by an Old Bailey jury of double murder
TWO young thugs who murdered teenager Shannen Vickers and her gran by setting fire to their home in London’s East End have been jailed today (Monday) for 25 years each.
Jake Sheehan, 20, and David Philip, 19, were convicted by an Old Bailey jury of double murder on Friday after a three-week trial and returned for sentence this-afternoon.
They had poured petrol through the letterbox of the flat in Bethnal Green’s Malmesbury high-rise block of flats at 5.30am on January 22 while 17-year-old Shannen and her grandmum Pauline Adams, 57, were asleep.
Their helpless victims were overcome by smoke as they lay side by side in the bedroom of the fifth floor flat.
You may also want to watch:
Philip and Sheehan, who blamed each other for the attack, had vowed revenge after losing a fight with Pauline Adams’ grandson in a row over �15.
Judge Richard Hawkins ordered them to serve a minimum 25 years behind bars. They will both be in their 40s, twice their age, before they can even apply for parole.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 3 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 4 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 5 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 6 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 7 Brigade issues fire safety warning after Limehouse studio blaze
- 8 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 9 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 10 Khalid Ali couldn't hide delight after winning start against Dean Wilkinson
He told them: “Both of you lost street credit so you decided to take revenge and set fire to the flat regardless of who died, intent on killing those inside.
“You also struck at the heart of Nicola Vickers who has lost a mother and daughter.”
Relatives in the public gallery applauded and shouted “scum” as the two young killers were led down to the cells.