Knife and gun crime on the agenda in 'Week of Peace'
TACKLING gun and knife crime will be at the centre of events marking next week s London Week of Peace. Among activities lined up by Tower Hamlets Council and the police will be sessions exploring young people s views on drugs and alcohol, gun-crime talks
TACKLING gun and knife crime will be at the centre of events marking next week's London Week of Peace.
Among activities lined up by Tower Hamlets Council and the police will be sessions exploring young people's views on drugs and alcohol, gun-crime talks involving youngsters aged over 13, plus other sessions looking at knife-crime.
Ways of tackling hate crime will be another major feature of the week, which runs from Sunday, and people will be encouraged to sign up to the council's "No Place for Hate" pledge.
Other issues to come under the spotlight will be bike theft, safety issues for over-55s and personal safety training for women.
You may also want to watch:
There will be a session on drugs support available for young people and some East Enders will be trained in conflict resolution.
Events being run around the borough include:
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 3 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 4 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 5 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 10 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
Gun Crime talks on Tuesday, September 22 at 7pm at Devons Estate Football pitch in Bromley-by-Bow and Thursday, September 24 at 10am at 305 Cambridge Heath Road, Bethnal Green.
A knife-crime and stop-and-search talk with Bromley-by-Bow safer neighbourhood team and the Leyton Orient Kickz project on Friday, September 25 Devons Estate football pitch.
Visit www.weekofpeace.org.uk for more information.