Knife and gun crime on the agenda in 'Week of Peace'
TACKLING gun and knife crime will be at the centre of events marking next week s London Week of Peace. Among activities lined up by Tower Hamlets Council and the police will be sessions exploring young people s views on drugs and alcohol, gun-crime talks
TACKLING gun and knife crime will be at the centre of events marking next week's London Week of Peace.
Among activities lined up by Tower Hamlets Council and the police will be sessions exploring young people's views on drugs and alcohol, gun-crime talks involving youngsters aged over 13, plus other sessions looking at knife-crime.
Ways of tackling hate crime will be another major feature of the week, which runs from Sunday, and people will be encouraged to sign up to the council's "No Place for Hate" pledge.
Other issues to come under the spotlight will be bike theft, safety issues for over-55s and personal safety training for women.
You may also want to watch:
There will be a session on drugs support available for young people and some East Enders will be trained in conflict resolution.
Events being run around the borough include:
- 1 Tower Hamlets youth worker on lack of funding for vital services
- 2 Unmesh Desai: 'Councillor's sudden death leaves huge void'
- 3 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 4 Potential strike action could hit Tower Hamlets Council services
- 5 Jailed: Bethnal Green man who tried to buy hand grenade to use on police
- 6 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 7 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 8 Police bid to trace man in connection with Tube station sex assault
- 9 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 10 Rabina Khan: What we must do five years on from Brexit referendum
Gun Crime talks on Tuesday, September 22 at 7pm at Devons Estate Football pitch in Bromley-by-Bow and Thursday, September 24 at 10am at 305 Cambridge Heath Road, Bethnal Green.
A knife-crime and stop-and-search talk with Bromley-by-Bow safer neighbourhood team and the Leyton Orient Kickz project on Friday, September 25 Devons Estate football pitch.
Visit www.weekofpeace.org.uk for more information.