Krays memorabilia goes under the hammer
Previously unpublished letters and unseen photos are made available by Kray biographer John Pearson
Letters from the Kray Twins including one revealing that Cliff Richard wrote to Ronnie Kray in prison and photos of the notorious gangster brothers are being sold at an auction tonight.
Collectors can bid online for over 160 unpreviously personal letters and photos which are owned by John Pearson who wrote a biography of the criminal pair in 1967 called The Profession of Violence.
One photograph being sold at the auction, which is being held by auctioneers Gorringes in Lewes, shows Ronnie Kray sharing a dining table with the Conservative peer, Lord Boothby.
The Sunday Mirror had to pay Lord Boothby �40,000 in damages after claiming the pair had a homosexual relationship.
You may also want to watch:
In another letter, Ronnie complains about not receiving any damages himself while a surprising letter suggests that pop star Cliff Richard wrote to the gangster.
Mr Pearson, 80, said: “Cliff is a Christian so he probably felt he should be doing good.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
“The twins were celebrities at the time and were involved in the pop world.
“I think Cliff visited him, Ronnie said he had.
“A lot of showbiz people did.”
Mr Pearson, who lives near Brighton, is also selling a previously unpublished chapter from his 1967 book which covers the Boothby scandal.
To bid online from 6pm, visit gorringes.co.uk.