Krays memorabilia goes under the hammer
Previously unpublished letters and unseen photos are made available by Kray biographer John Pearson
Letters from the Kray Twins including one revealing that Cliff Richard wrote to Ronnie Kray in prison and photos of the notorious gangster brothers are being sold at an auction tonight.
Collectors can bid online for over 160 unpreviously personal letters and photos which are owned by John Pearson who wrote a biography of the criminal pair in 1967 called The Profession of Violence.
One photograph being sold at the auction, which is being held by auctioneers Gorringes in Lewes, shows Ronnie Kray sharing a dining table with the Conservative peer, Lord Boothby.
The Sunday Mirror had to pay Lord Boothby �40,000 in damages after claiming the pair had a homosexual relationship.
You may also want to watch:
In another letter, Ronnie complains about not receiving any damages himself while a surprising letter suggests that pop star Cliff Richard wrote to the gangster.
Mr Pearson, 80, said: “Cliff is a Christian so he probably felt he should be doing good.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 'Grief and queer coming of age' theatre show to be put on for London Horror Festival
- 7 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 10 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
“The twins were celebrities at the time and were involved in the pop world.
“I think Cliff visited him, Ronnie said he had.
“A lot of showbiz people did.”
Mr Pearson, who lives near Brighton, is also selling a previously unpublished chapter from his 1967 book which covers the Boothby scandal.
To bid online from 6pm, visit gorringes.co.uk.