Labour cabinet member defects to Tories at Tower Hamlets
A LABOUR cabinet member has defected to the Tory Opposition on Tower Hamlets Council in East London. Dr Anwara Ali, in charge of health policy, is giving a press conference this afternoon to explain why
A LABOUR cabinet member has defected to the Tory Opposition on Tower Hamlets Council in East London.
Dr Anwara Ali, in charge of health policy on the local authority, is giving a press conference in Brick Lane this afternoon to explain why she’s quit Labour.
She is one of only two women in council leader Lutfur Rahman’s cabinet which controls the East End’s �1 billion budget.
But the GP from Spitalfields, in the heart of the East End’s deprived Bangladeshi community, is thought to be unhappy with having to take on George Galloway’s Respect party in Shadwell.
You may also want to watch:
She was being switched from Bow West, regarded as safe Labour’ territory, to go head-to-head with Respect in their stronghold. She was not offered the safer Spitalfields ward where her surgery is.
This results from the shake-up in Tower Hamlets Labour ranks with the London regional party taking over the selection process last year.
- 1 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 2 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 3 Covid stats show cases rising across east London boroughs
- 4 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 5 ‘Humanitarian disaster’ food shortage for East End families in poverty
- 6 Driver demo blocks Uber's Whitechapel HQ in termination appeals dispute
- 7 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 8 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 9 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 10 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
Dr Ali was reselected, but given a tough seat to fight in the coming May 6 local elections.
So she has quit Labour to join Tory Peter Golds’ Opposition group.
Labour is furious at her defection. “This is unbelievable,” one source told the East London Advertiser. “Tower Hamlets has become a joke.”