Labour cabinet member defects to Tories at Tower Hamlets
A LABOUR cabinet member has defected to the Tory Opposition on Tower Hamlets Council in East London. Dr Anwara Ali, in charge of health policy, is giving a press conference this afternoon to explain why
A LABOUR cabinet member has defected to the Tory Opposition on Tower Hamlets Council in East London.
Dr Anwara Ali, in charge of health policy on the local authority, is giving a press conference in Brick Lane this afternoon to explain why she’s quit Labour.
She is one of only two women in council leader Lutfur Rahman’s cabinet which controls the East End’s �1 billion budget.
But the GP from Spitalfields, in the heart of the East End’s deprived Bangladeshi community, is thought to be unhappy with having to take on George Galloway’s Respect party in Shadwell.
You may also want to watch:
She was being switched from Bow West, regarded as safe Labour’ territory, to go head-to-head with Respect in their stronghold. She was not offered the safer Spitalfields ward where her surgery is.
This results from the shake-up in Tower Hamlets Labour ranks with the London regional party taking over the selection process last year.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 4 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
Dr Ali was reselected, but given a tough seat to fight in the coming May 6 local elections.
So she has quit Labour to join Tory Peter Golds’ Opposition group.
Labour is furious at her defection. “This is unbelievable,” one source told the East London Advertiser. “Tower Hamlets has become a joke.”