Labour candidate criticises politicians for 'amplifying' community tensions
A PARLIAMENATRY candidate is calling on political leaders in London s East End to stop amplifying tensions in the community. Rushanara Ali s comments come after a Channel 4 Dispatches programme.
A PARLIAMENATRY candidate is calling on political leaders in London's East End to stop "amplifying" tensions in the community.
Rushanara Ali's comments come after a Channel 4 Dispatches programme this week claimed an Islamic group was infiltrating Tower Hamlets Town Hall and party politics.
The candidate for Bethnal Green and Bow appears to be hitting out at fellow Labour politician, government minister Jim Fitzpatrick, who raised concerns on the programme about the influence of the Islamic Forum Europe on political parties including his own.
Rushanara said the Poplar and Canning Town MP was entitled to his own opinion but said she was focusing on reaching out to all sections of the community to ensure they are legitimately engaging in the political process.
She said: "We must turn the page on the politics of division and unite this community. It's time the political leaders of Tower Hamlets, whether in my party or any other party, stopped amplifying tensions in this community."
Instead politicians should work together to focus on the issues that matter most to residents such as jobs, education and housing regardless of race, religion or income, she said.
- 1 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 2 How many Covid patients are there in east London hospitals this week?
- 3 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 4 TfL consultation opens on plans to extend ULEZ into Greater London
- 5 Cyclist in 'critical but stable' condition after Whitechapel lorry crash
- 6 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
- 7 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 8 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 9 Whitechapel nun pens book of 12 stories to inspire selflessness in society
- 10 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
Tory leader at Tower Hamlets Peter Golds also featured on the programme.