Labour candidate criticises politicians for 'amplifying' community tensions
A PARLIAMENATRY candidate is calling on political leaders in London s East End to stop amplifying tensions in the community. Rushanara Ali s comments come after a Channel 4 Dispatches programme.
A PARLIAMENATRY candidate is calling on political leaders in London's East End to stop "amplifying" tensions in the community.
Rushanara Ali's comments come after a Channel 4 Dispatches programme this week claimed an Islamic group was infiltrating Tower Hamlets Town Hall and party politics.
The candidate for Bethnal Green and Bow appears to be hitting out at fellow Labour politician, government minister Jim Fitzpatrick, who raised concerns on the programme about the influence of the Islamic Forum Europe on political parties including his own.
Rushanara said the Poplar and Canning Town MP was entitled to his own opinion but said she was focusing on reaching out to all sections of the community to ensure they are legitimately engaging in the political process.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "We must turn the page on the politics of division and unite this community. It's time the political leaders of Tower Hamlets, whether in my party or any other party, stopped amplifying tensions in this community."
Instead politicians should work together to focus on the issues that matter most to residents such as jobs, education and housing regardless of race, religion or income, she said.
- 1 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 2 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 3 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 4 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 5 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 6 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 7 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 8 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 9 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 10 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
Tory leader at Tower Hamlets Peter Golds also featured on the programme.