Labour candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor signs Early Years Pledge
- Credit: TH Lab Pty
Labour’s candidate running for Tower Hamlets mayor has signed up to the national ‘Early Years’ pledge to protect nurseries and children’s centres.
John Biggs looked in at the Association for Early Childhood Education’s Whitechapel offices in London’s deprived East End last night to sign the pledge while on his campaign trail for May’s local elections.
“This campaign takes a pragmatic approach to the spending pressures local authorities face,” he said. “But it also prioritises early years services to ensure universal provision is protected for all our families.”
The commitments are key election targets for candidates in the local polls for mayor and Tower Hamlets councillors focusing on children and families, including pledges for free school meals to all primary-aged youngsters.
Early Education Chief Executive Beatrice Merrick said: “We understand local authorities face difficult decisions about budgets, but protecting early years spending recognises the role of early intervention to give children the best start in life.”
You may also want to watch:
The Early Years Pledge is to safeguard children’s centres, nursery schools and specialist local authority services for disabled youngsters and those with special educational needs.
- 1 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 6 500 deaf children wait to see if their education needs will be cut by Tower Hamlets Council
- 7 Lockdown dancing in your own living room goes online from Canary Wharf
- 8 Tower of London's Queen raven feared dead
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Covid: School mourns sad loss of Marner Primary headteacher Nick Hague