Labour condemns attack on councillor
THE Labour group on Tower Hamlets council has added its voice to condemnation of an assault on a fellow councillor in Bethnal Green. The Leader of the council, Lutfur Rahman on behalf of the Labour Group issued a statement about the attack on Liberal Dem
THE Labour group on Tower Hamlets council has added its voice to condemnation of an assault on a fellow councillor in Bethnal Green.
The Leader of the council, Lutfur Rahman on behalf of the Labour Group issued a statement about the attack on Liberal Democrat Abdul Matin saying: "We were deeply shocked to hear about this vicious attack on Cllr Matin. He is a very well respected member of the council and community and we look forward to his speedy recovery.
"In the meantime, we urge anyone who knows anything about this attack to contact the police."
Councillor Matin suffered head and facial injuries after the attack on Monday April 6 at the junction of Derbyshire Street and Vallance Road and has been treated in hospital for his injuries.
You may also want to watch:
Witnesses should contact the violent crime unit on 020 7 275 4546 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
- 1 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 2 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 3 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 4 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 5 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 6 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 7 Orient boss McAnuff determined to not help Salford City into the play-offs
- 8 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 9 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 10 East London venue to host big-screen Euro 2020 football fanzone