Labour is planning Town Hall couch potato’ politics
Dear Ed, MANY people took the opportunity with Monday’s snow to work from home. I found time to make a snowman (pictured). But working from home for one day is nothing compared to Government plans for couch potato’ councillors
MANY people took the opportunity with Monday’s snow to work from home. I found time to make a snowman (pictured).
But working from home for one day due to snow is nothing compared to Government plans for couch potato’ councillors.
Labour intends allowing council members to vote on important decisions from home by text without the need to actually go to the Town Hall and be a part of a meeting.
You may also want to watch:
We have far too few meetings of Tower Hamlets council in East London as it is, just five a year. Full council meetings are an important part of the democratic process—where the public can ask questions of the authority it elected, and present petitions and see democracy in action.
This move is just another example of Labour undermining the democratic process. Allowing councillors to vote by phone or the internet removes accountably and opens the floodgates for poor decisions to be made that are not in the interest of the people. I, for one, will insist on voting in person, rather than hiding away.
- 1 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 3 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 4 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 5 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 6 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 7 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 8 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 9 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 10 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
Cllr Tim Archer (Con)
Blackwall & Cubitt Town ward
Tower Hamlets Council
Poplar & Limehouse Conservative Parliamentary candidate
Plymouth Wharf, Cubitt Town, Isle of Dogs