Labour puts political kids’ in charge of cabinet portfolios
Dear Ed, I WAS shocked to learn the Labour group on Tower Hamlets council has put political kids in charge of serious cabinet portfolios. Labour certainly has lost the plot in the East End as well as the Westminster meltdown
I WAS shocked to learn the Labour group on Tower Hamlets council has put political kids in charge of serious cabinet portfolios.
Rania Khan is apparently the new lead member for Regeneration and Oliur Rahman is in charge of Employment and skills.
Well, Oliur must have amazing employment skills to have got himself into this position, judging by his performance at council committee meetings. During his years as a Respect party councillor, he did very little apart from speak at full council meetings or public party political meetings.
You may also want to watch:
On the other hand, Rania Khan has demonstrated pretty much nothing during her term to date. Council committee meetings aren’t even relevant to her as she has hardly been on them. The few times she has spoken at council meetings, her statements have been so confusing that she wasn’t even sure which Local Area Partnership her mother represented at the last council meeting.
If these are the leading faces of Tower Hamlets Labour party, then they certainly have most definitely lost the plot in the East End as well as the Westminster meltdown.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
Both Khan and Rahman stood against Labour candidates at the London Assembly elections just a year ago before their defection to Respect and their new lease of political direction with Labour.
Meanwhile, Waiseul Islam is rewarded by becoming the East End’s Olympics Ambassador,’ a newly created position that is supposed to do what the council should already be doing.
Rajib Ahmed, who failed to become Mayor, followed suit and is in charge of Pensions! What a sad day for all staff paying into the pension scheme.
The only defector not to be awarded any position is Shahed Ali, who actually happened to be a Labour party member for years and also did not stand in the GLA elections against Labour when he was in Respect. He is a councillor many of us respect for his contribution at planning meetings.
Never mind, he can always turn blue at the next elections!
Columbia Road, Bethnal Green