Labour puts political kids’ in charge of cabinet portfolios
Dear Ed, I WAS shocked to learn the Labour group on Tower Hamlets council has put political kids in charge of serious cabinet portfolios. Labour certainly has lost the plot in the East End as well as the Westminster meltdown
I WAS shocked to learn the Labour group on Tower Hamlets council has put political kids in charge of serious cabinet portfolios.
Rania Khan is apparently the new lead member for Regeneration and Oliur Rahman is in charge of Employment and skills.
Well, Oliur must have amazing employment skills to have got himself into this position, judging by his performance at council committee meetings. During his years as a Respect party councillor, he did very little apart from speak at full council meetings or public party political meetings.
On the other hand, Rania Khan has demonstrated pretty much nothing during her term to date. Council committee meetings aren’t even relevant to her as she has hardly been on them. The few times she has spoken at council meetings, her statements have been so confusing that she wasn’t even sure which Local Area Partnership her mother represented at the last council meeting.
If these are the leading faces of Tower Hamlets Labour party, then they certainly have most definitely lost the plot in the East End as well as the Westminster meltdown.
- 1 Cyclist in 'critical but stable' condition after Whitechapel lorry crash
- 2 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 3 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
- 4 TfL consultation opens on plans to extend ULEZ into Greater London
- 5 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 6 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 7 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 8 Flats under construction in Hackney Wick to be knocked down and rebuilt
- 9 Cycle paths joined up in Aldgate creates 'safe route' through east London
- 10 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
Both Khan and Rahman stood against Labour candidates at the London Assembly elections just a year ago before their defection to Respect and their new lease of political direction with Labour.
Meanwhile, Waiseul Islam is rewarded by becoming the East End’s Olympics Ambassador,’ a newly created position that is supposed to do what the council should already be doing.
Rajib Ahmed, who failed to become Mayor, followed suit and is in charge of Pensions! What a sad day for all staff paying into the pension scheme.
The only defector not to be awarded any position is Shahed Ali, who actually happened to be a Labour party member for years and also did not stand in the GLA elections against Labour when he was in Respect. He is a councillor many of us respect for his contribution at planning meetings.
Never mind, he can always turn blue at the next elections!
Columbia Road, Bethnal Green