Labour puts political kids’ in charge of cabinet portfolios
Dear Ed, I WAS shocked to learn the Labour group on Tower Hamlets council has put political kids in charge of serious cabinet portfolios. Labour certainly has lost the plot in the East End as well as the Westminster meltdown
I WAS shocked to learn the Labour group on Tower Hamlets council has put political kids in charge of serious cabinet portfolios.
Rania Khan is apparently the new lead member for Regeneration and Oliur Rahman is in charge of Employment and skills.
Well, Oliur must have amazing employment skills to have got himself into this position, judging by his performance at council committee meetings. During his years as a Respect party councillor, he did very little apart from speak at full council meetings or public party political meetings.
You may also want to watch:
On the other hand, Rania Khan has demonstrated pretty much nothing during her term to date. Council committee meetings aren’t even relevant to her as she has hardly been on them. The few times she has spoken at council meetings, her statements have been so confusing that she wasn’t even sure which Local Area Partnership her mother represented at the last council meeting.
If these are the leading faces of Tower Hamlets Labour party, then they certainly have most definitely lost the plot in the East End as well as the Westminster meltdown.
- 1 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 2 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 3 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 4 Drivers fight Tower Hamlets for years over 'clamping on private land'
- 5 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 6 Waste bin by the Thames used as 'lifebuoy' to save marine life
- 7 Golfer to visit Canary Wharf on 'world's longest golf hole challenge'
- 8 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 9 'Earn while you learn' new degree course for students from any background
- 10 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
Both Khan and Rahman stood against Labour candidates at the London Assembly elections just a year ago before their defection to Respect and their new lease of political direction with Labour.
Meanwhile, Waiseul Islam is rewarded by becoming the East End’s Olympics Ambassador,’ a newly created position that is supposed to do what the council should already be doing.
Rajib Ahmed, who failed to become Mayor, followed suit and is in charge of Pensions! What a sad day for all staff paying into the pension scheme.
The only defector not to be awarded any position is Shahed Ali, who actually happened to be a Labour party member for years and also did not stand in the GLA elections against Labour when he was in Respect. He is a councillor many of us respect for his contribution at planning meetings.
Never mind, he can always turn blue at the next elections!
Columbia Road, Bethnal Green