Labour's Rushanara Ali wins Bethnal Green and Bow
RUSHANARA Ali has regained the Labour seat from Respect to become MP for Bethnal Green and Bow. It is the second triumph for Labour in Tower Hamlets after Jim Fitzpatrick won the seat for Poplar and Limehouse earlier today. Ms Ali has taken the constitu
RUSHANARA Ali has regained the Labour seat from Respect to become MP for Bethnal Green and Bow.
It is the second triumph for Labour in Tower Hamlets after Jim Fitzpatrick won the seat for Poplar and Limehouse earlier today.
Ms Ali has taken the constituency with 21,784 votes to become the first Bangladeshi MP in Westminster.
The Oxford graduate has regained the Labour seat that was lost to George Galloway in the 2005 election.
Lib Deb's Ajmal Masroor came in second with 10,210 votes and Respect's Abjol Miah only managed to get third place with 8,532 votes.
Mr Miah was hoping to keep hold of the Respect seat left empty after Mr Galloway decided to swap constituencies and fight for Poplar and Limehouse.
- 1 Travel bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 2 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 3 Abba Voyage: A spectacular trip into an enchanted world
- 4 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 5 Tower Hamlets neighbours must 'temporarily leave' and pay £85k for building repairs
- 6 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 7 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 8 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 9 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 10 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
But today has proved to be disastrous for Respect, after losing their Bethnal Green and Bow seat and failing to gain Poplar and Limehouse despite pitching their star player.
Tory Zak Khan managed to grab 7,071 votes.