Labour's Rushanara Ali wins Bethnal Green and Bow
RUSHANARA Ali has regained the Labour seat from Respect to become MP for Bethnal Green and Bow. It is the second triumph for Labour in Tower Hamlets after Jim Fitzpatrick won the seat for Poplar and Limehouse earlier today. Ms Ali has taken the constitu
RUSHANARA Ali has regained the Labour seat from Respect to become MP for Bethnal Green and Bow.
It is the second triumph for Labour in Tower Hamlets after Jim Fitzpatrick won the seat for Poplar and Limehouse earlier today.
Ms Ali has taken the constituency with 21,784 votes to become the first Bangladeshi MP in Westminster.
The Oxford graduate has regained the Labour seat that was lost to George Galloway in the 2005 election.
You may also want to watch:
Lib Deb's Ajmal Masroor came in second with 10,210 votes and Respect's Abjol Miah only managed to get third place with 8,532 votes.
Mr Miah was hoping to keep hold of the Respect seat left empty after Mr Galloway decided to swap constituencies and fight for Poplar and Limehouse.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning
But today has proved to be disastrous for Respect, after losing their Bethnal Green and Bow seat and failing to gain Poplar and Limehouse despite pitching their star player.
Tory Zak Khan managed to grab 7,071 votes.