Labour's Rushanara Ali wins Bethnal Green and Bow
RUSHANARA Ali has regained the Labour seat from Respect to become MP for Bethnal Green and Bow. It is the second triumph for Labour in Tower Hamlets after Jim Fitzpatrick won the seat for Poplar and Limehouse earlier today. Ms Ali has taken the constitu
RUSHANARA Ali has regained the Labour seat from Respect to become MP for Bethnal Green and Bow.
It is the second triumph for Labour in Tower Hamlets after Jim Fitzpatrick won the seat for Poplar and Limehouse earlier today.
Ms Ali has taken the constituency with 21,784 votes to become the first Bangladeshi MP in Westminster.
The Oxford graduate has regained the Labour seat that was lost to George Galloway in the 2005 election.
Lib Deb's Ajmal Masroor came in second with 10,210 votes and Respect's Abjol Miah only managed to get third place with 8,532 votes.
Mr Miah was hoping to keep hold of the Respect seat left empty after Mr Galloway decided to swap constituencies and fight for Poplar and Limehouse.
- 1 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 2 Nine rescue pets looking for homes this Christmas in east London
- 3 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 4 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
- 5 Boxpark reveals plans for Shoreditch rooftop garden
- 6 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 7 Shoreditch Park Academy officially opens its doors
- 8 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
- 9 Collision causes traffic delays on A13 near Canning Town
- 10 Planned travel disruptions in east and central north London this week
But today has proved to be disastrous for Respect, after losing their Bethnal Green and Bow seat and failing to gain Poplar and Limehouse despite pitching their star player.
Tory Zak Khan managed to grab 7,071 votes.