Labour's Rushanara Ali wins Bethnal Green and Bow
RUSHANARA Ali has regained the Labour seat from Respect to become MP for Bethnal Green and Bow. It is the second triumph for Labour in Tower Hamlets after Jim Fitzpatrick won the seat for Poplar and Limehouse earlier today. Ms Ali has taken the constitu
RUSHANARA Ali has regained the Labour seat from Respect to become MP for Bethnal Green and Bow.
It is the second triumph for Labour in Tower Hamlets after Jim Fitzpatrick won the seat for Poplar and Limehouse earlier today.
Ms Ali has taken the constituency with 21,784 votes to become the first Bangladeshi MP in Westminster.
The Oxford graduate has regained the Labour seat that was lost to George Galloway in the 2005 election.
You may also want to watch:
Lib Deb's Ajmal Masroor came in second with 10,210 votes and Respect's Abjol Miah only managed to get third place with 8,532 votes.
Mr Miah was hoping to keep hold of the Respect seat left empty after Mr Galloway decided to swap constituencies and fight for Poplar and Limehouse.
- 1 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 2 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 3 MP's fury at four-year delay removing Grenfell-type cladding from block
- 4 Leyton Orient have announced their retained list as they begin rebuild
- 5 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 6 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 7 'Halt to development draining services' after win for neighbourhood plan
- 8 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 9 Leyton Orient have a big summer ahead of them insists director Ling
- 10 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
But today has proved to be disastrous for Respect, after losing their Bethnal Green and Bow seat and failing to gain Poplar and Limehouse despite pitching their star player.
Tory Zak Khan managed to grab 7,071 votes.