Labour's Rushanara Ali wins Bethnal Green and Bow
RUSHANARA Ali has regained the Labour seat from Respect to become MP for Bethnal Green and Bow. It is the second triumph for Labour in Tower Hamlets after Jim Fitzpatrick won the seat for Poplar and Limehouse earlier today. Ms Ali has taken the constitu
RUSHANARA Ali has regained the Labour seat from Respect to become MP for Bethnal Green and Bow.
It is the second triumph for Labour in Tower Hamlets after Jim Fitzpatrick won the seat for Poplar and Limehouse earlier today.
Ms Ali has taken the constituency with 21,784 votes to become the first Bangladeshi MP in Westminster.
The Oxford graduate has regained the Labour seat that was lost to George Galloway in the 2005 election.
You may also want to watch:
Lib Deb's Ajmal Masroor came in second with 10,210 votes and Respect's Abjol Miah only managed to get third place with 8,532 votes.
Mr Miah was hoping to keep hold of the Respect seat left empty after Mr Galloway decided to swap constituencies and fight for Poplar and Limehouse.
- 1 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 4 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 5 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
- 6 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 7 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 8 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 9 Tokyo 2020: Poplar children have their own 'Olympics'
- 10 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
But today has proved to be disastrous for Respect, after losing their Bethnal Green and Bow seat and failing to gain Poplar and Limehouse despite pitching their star player.
Tory Zak Khan managed to grab 7,071 votes.