Landlord fined after police shut down Spitalfields house party
- Credit: Google
The owner of a Spitalfields property rented out for a house party during lockdown has been fined.
Police shut down the illegal party in Brick Lane on January 15 after neighbours reported hearing loud music.
Officers found more than 40 people crammed inside, clearly flouting Covid restrictions.
Several arrests were made for offences including breaching lockdown rules, possession of a class B drug and assault on an emergency worker.
On February 12, the council issued fines of £1,000 each to the owner and the tenant for allowing the property to be used in breach of Covid restrictions.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Eve McQuillan, cabinet member for planning and social inclusion, said: “Letting out property as holiday accommodation or for illegal gatherings likes this during a time of national restrictions is irresponsible and dangerous.
“We will always look to prosecute landlords who flaunt these rules.”
- 1 Front-runners for Leyton Orient vacancy after Ross Embleton departure
- 2 Jailed: East End county lines dealers who peddled heroin and crack cocaine
- 3 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 4 Leyton Orient announce Embleton exit
- 5 Thugs attack each other with bottles of wine in supermarket mass brawl
- 6 Tideway super sewer arrives at Tower Bridge ready to bore east London
- 7 Police raid cannabis cafe in 200-year-old Whitechapel building
- 8 Orient announce McAnuff as interim manager
- 9 East Ham man raped woman with his friend in Wapping park 23 years ago
- 10 Cigarette sparks fire in Poplar block of flats