Last plot completed in handover of 2,800 East Village homes in E20
- Credit: Lease Lend Grp
The last residential plot has been completed which concludes the handover of all 2,818 homes at East Village to the Olympic Delivery Authority.
The complex was initially built by the Lend Lease group as the Athletes’ Village for the 2012 Games.
The group has since completed the refit and turned it into East Village which has been included in the new E20 postcode.
Lend Lease has now completed the retrofit with 1,250 homes already occupied, the first families having arrived in November.
The apartments have been built as sustainable homes for 9,000 people, next to the Olympic Park.
You may also want to watch:
They are in 63 buildings making up the complex that also includes Chobham Academy school for 1,800 pupils aged three to 19, health and community centres, plus 10 hectares of open public space.
This last phase was the largest residential construction site in the UK, involving the fastest handover ever achieved on such a scale.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 3 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 9 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 10 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
“The transformation from the Athletes’ Village into East Village has been a monumental project,” the company’s project chief lan Bates said. “The pace was the most challenging ever undertaken.
“We’ve completed homes at the rate of 85 each week over eight months, which is an incredible accomplishment for a site of this size.”
The site, the largest scheme of its type in Britain, also achieved 3 million hours without a reportable incident as it came to completion—raising construction site safety standards over the past seven years.
It sits next to the Olympic Park where Lend Lease and London & Continental Railways are developing one of Europe’s largest mixed-use developments and a new £1.3 billion International Quarter commercial district with four million sq ft of workspace.