Late, late show earns Leyton Orient sensational away win at Plymouth Argyle

Leyton Orient winger Gavin Massey wheels off to celebrate after finding the net again (pic: Simon O'

Leyton Orient winger Gavin Massey wheels off to celebrate after finding the net again (pic: Simon O'Connor). - Credit: Archant

Sky Bet League Two: Plymouth Argyle 2 Leyton Orient 3

Danny Webb’s Leyton Orient scored two late goals at Plymouth Argyle to earn their first win of 2017 in League Two.

It was a sensational turnaround for the O’s who trailed with only two minutes left at Home Park.

But Gavin Massey’s second of the game levelled things up for Orient before Sandro Semedo struck the winner in the fourth minute of stoppage time.

The east Londoners remain in the bottom two, but demonstrated once again they are not going down without a fight.

You may also want to watch:

Webb made three changes to the side which started at Yeovil Town with Callum Kennedy, Josh Koroma and Sam Dalby included from the off.

Yvan Erichot and Nigel Atangana dropped out of the squad completely with respective groin issues.

Most Read

Rowan Liburd had to settle for a place on the bench with 17-year-old Dalby given a start at Home Park.

Paul McCallum missed the match due to a knee problem suffered at Yeovil last weekend while Sammy Moore remained absent due to a virus.

The O’s made an encouraging start on Valentine’s Day with Koroma picked out Dalby, but his header was easily saved by Luke McCormick.

Massey and Michael Collins linked up smartly two minutes later, in the eighth minute, but the latter couldn’t beat the Argyle custodian.

And then in the 10th minute, slightly against the run of play, Plymouth took the lead with Orient calling for a foul.

Gary Sawyer crossed into the area against his old club and Ryan Taylor’s knock down was converted by Antoni Sarcevic.

Orient appealed for a foul on Tom Parkes, but nothing was given and the visitors were bracing themselves for a long night.

After regrouping, Massey played in Koroma down the right, but his effort was blocked in the 20th minute.

Less than 60 seconds later and Sarcevic got in behind Myles Judd, but Nicky Hunt calmly chested his cross back to Sam Sargeant.

Plymouth should have doubled their lead in the 22nd minute when Graham Carey crossed in for Yann Songo’o.

The Argyle defended headed wide, however, when it appeared easier to score and Orient almost immediately punished the hosts.

Koroma produced a sensational touch on the right and Dalby saw an effort tipped over by McCormick.

It boosted Webb’s team and Liam Kelly headed Collins free kick over three minutes later in the 28th minute.

The O’s were getting on top now and their captain for the evening tested McCormick with a long range effort soon after.

Argyle soon demonstrated their threat nine minutes before half time when Matt Kennedy found Taylor, but he fired off target.

Orient’s Callum Kennedy then went in the book for a foul on Sarcevic with the goalscorer being replaced by Ryan Donaldson.

And the visitors struggled to keep their discipline with the break approaching as Parkes received a caution for dissent.

Hunt then earned a booking for a late tackle on Carey and it may prove to be a costly foul for O’s.

It was the club captains 10th caution of the campaign meaning he’ll miss the upcoming games with Notts County and Cheltenham Town.

But it was quickly forgotten in the 43rd minute when Massey continued his sensational form in 2017.

Orient’s winger cut in from the right and curled home off the post to score his seventh goal of the campaign.

It was Massey’s fourth goal from his last six games and gave the travelling support plenty to shout about.

Hunt produced a heroic block moments after the equaliser to deny Taylor before five minutes of stoppage time were added on.

Argyle piled the pressure on with Songo’o wasting a glorious chance before David Fox volleyed wide.

The missed opportunities ensured it remained level at the break with Orient fighting at Home Park.

Webb’s side begun the second period strongly too with Koroma going past Sawyer before McCormick punched his effort away from goal.

But nine minutes after the restart, the hosts retook the lead when Matt Kennedy was allowed too much time and curled home.

Although it was a frustrating moment for the east Londoners, they responded well with Dalby having a header deflected over.

Plymouth’s Kennedy did nearly make it 3-1 on the hour mark, however, when he curled past Sargeant, but saw his effort hit the crossbar.

Once again Orient failed to let it deter them and Massey having a shot blocked behind after linking up with Collins.

With quarter of an hour remaining, Webb’s side upped the ante with Koroma forcing McCormick into a fine, low save.

Dalby was next to go close, in the 79th minute, but he could only fire over when well placed inside the area.

Orient continued to pile the pressure on with Koroma curling into the hands of the Plymouth with six minutes remaining.

The hosts very nearly made it 3-1 in he 86th minute when Nauris Bulvitis nearly deflected the ball in, but Sargeant managed to keep it out.

It was end-to-end now with Koroma going agonisingly close again, yet seeing his effort blocked by an Argyle player.

And then O’s got the reward they deserved when Massey got on the end of Semedo’s cross to fire home the equaliser.

Four minutes of stoppage time were added on and Orient were heading for a second game without a defeat.

But Webb’s team weren’t content with just one point and in the dying seconds found a dramatic late winner.

Koroma was denied first of all, but Semedo kept his cool to fire in and spark jubilant scenes at Home Park.

It was an incredible way for Webb to win his first game in charge and for Orient to get their first victory of 2017.

Despite the result, O’s remain in the bottom two because Cheltenham Town have a better goal difference.

But this triumph should give Orient a huge amount of belief and stop anybody thinking the season is over.

Notts County and Kevin Nolan will visit Brisbane Road this weekend and O’s will see it as a great chance to move out of the relegation zone.

Leyton Orient: Sargeant; Judd, Hunt, Parkes, Kennedy; Koroma, Collins, Atangana, Semedo; Massey, Dalby.

Unused substitutes: Grainger, Mezague, Liburd, Moncur, Adeboyejo, Alzate, Clark.

Attendance: 8,054 (156 Leyton Orient supporters).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus