Launch party at Victoria Park celebrated park’s history ahead of London Olympics
An official launch party was put on at Victoria Park at the weekend to celebrate the park’s �12million restoration ahead of London’s Olympic Games.
Saturday’s family party featured activities and entertainment celebrating the park’s 170 year history including a variety of live music, dance performances and workshops.
Mobile entertainment was provided by Victorian explorers, Edwardian circus magicians, and Punch and Judy.
There were also novel ways to get about, including rickshaws, canoes and a horse and cart.
Other activities were in the form of a treasure hunt, fancy dress competition, coconut shy, skateboarding tutorials and more.
You may also want to watch:
The Friends of Victoria Park group, who campaigned for a fence to be put up around the new children’s play area, displayed their design suggestions for the fence during the event.
Tower Hamlets council have agreed in principle to the fence after parents raised safety concerns.
- 1 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 2 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 3 Drivers fight Tower Hamlets for years over 'clamping on private land'
- 4 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 5 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 6 'Earn while you learn' new degree course for students from any background
- 7 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 8 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 9 Crossharbour scheme for 2,000 new homes on Isle of Dogs is halted
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
The restoration was funded by the council and the Heritage Lottery.