Leyton Orient Walking Football team lift Essex League title
- Credit: Archant
The O’s walking footballers have claimed a number of trophies over the past 18 months
Leyton Orient’s Walking Footballers won the Essex over-50s league title in their first year in the league last month.
After playing 18 matches over a six-month period against teams from across Essex, the O’s secured the title in the last three minutes of their final game.
The team is made up of men from across Waltham Forest and Redbridge and players are aged in their 50s and 60s with the eldest player aged 67.
Orient’s side, who met as part of the Walking Football social sessions led by Leyton Orient Trust, decided to take the sport further by setting up their own club to enter competitions and tournaments.
You may also want to watch:
Team captain, Paul Franklin, said: “This was an absolutely brilliant achievement by the lads.”
Leyton Orient Walking Football Club Chairman, Len Cheston, said: “I am full of praise for every single member of the squad. This group of players put in some fantastic performances over the season.”
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 4 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 5 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 8 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning
This win adds to their growing medal collection, as the team have been hugely successful in tournaments home and abroad.
Previously, they won the Essex League Age/UK Cup in July 2018, finished third in the European Veterans walking football tournament in September 2017, were runners up in the Mallorca over-50s tournament in May and clinched the Mallorca over-60s tournament in the same month.
Leyton Orient Walking Football squad: Bob Adams, Tony Brooks, Len Cheston, Chris Cooper (GK), Stephen Dunn, Keith Everett (GK), Paul Franklin (C), Gary Martin, Keith Miller, Darren Mockler, Mick Mullins, Fid Neophytou, Trevor Ridley, Phil Stevenson, Tony Wahlhaus, Tony Weston (GK), Jake Zelkowicz.