Leyton Orient can’t sting Barnet at the Hive as London derby ends in stalemate

Andy Edwards and Danny Webb look on (pic: Simon O'Connor)

Andy Edwards and Danny Webb look on (pic: Simon O'Connor) - Credit: Archant

Sky Bet League Two: Barnet 0 Leyton Orient 0

Leyton Orient halted their run of three consecutive defeats in League Two with a solid performance at Barnet which earned them a point.

Andy Edwards team edged the London derby, although couldn’t fashion any great goalscoring opportunities and had to settle for a draw.

The point sees the O’s drop to 17th in the table, though, after 11 matches of the season and boost confidence after a difficult end to September.

Orient were given a boost as Liam Kelly was fit to line up in the centre of midfield and partnered Gavin Massey.

You may also want to watch:

Yvan Erichot was back again and replaced the suspended Jens Janse while Harry Cornick replaced Robbie Weir, who was serving the first of his three game suspension.

Ex-O’s striker Shaun Batt lined up for the Bees as did Luke Gambin after he rejectd a switch to the east Londoners in August.

Most Read

The visitors made a bright start at the Hive and Callum Kennedy tested Josh Vickers after just two minutes.

It was a comfortable save for the Barnet goalkeeper, but Cornick forced him to up over with six played.

Kelly, captain for the afternoon, curled over moments later as Edwards team started strongly against their rivals.

Martin Allen’s men hit back just before quarter of an hour was gone as Gambin forced Alex Cisak to save his with feet from inside the area.

It was turning into a real battle between the two London clubs and referee Darren Handley was letting a lot go to his credit.

Orient supporters were cheering in the 29th minute when Batt was forced off through injury and replaced by Curtis Weston.

The east Londoners produced a wonderful bit of play 12 minutes before half time when Massey got the ball down and found Nicky Hunt.

Cornick was picked out wide and his cross was knocked down by Paul McCallum, but Kelly’s effort was deflected behind for a corner.

Although the O’s won two corners in quick succession, they were unable to test Vickers as McCallum headed over the second.

Four minutes later and the visitors created an either better chance when Jay Simpson was played in.

McCallum initially flicked the ball intelligently forward to Massey and he found last season’s top goalscorer.

Simpson’s weak shot was easily saved by Vickers from just inside the area and it stayed goalless in north London.

The Bees had the ball in the net in the 40th minute but it was correctly ruled out after Bira Dembele punched past Alex Cisak.

Barnet’s centre back was booked for his pointless act and Orient continued to push for the opener.

Although two minutes of stoppage time were added on at the end of the first half, it remained goalless until the break.

Edwards introduced Jordan Bowery in the 50th minute with Cornick the man making way and the ex-Aston Villa striker lining up on the right side of midfield.

The 986 O’s supporters inside the Hive were making plenty of noise and getting behind the team like they did on Tuesday.

But it remained a tense battle and with an hour played it was still goalless between the two London rivals.

Sam Togwell forced Cisak into a brilliant save in the 67th minute when Jamal Campbell-Ryce, who has had two loan spells at Brisbane Road, had a free kick cleared to the Bees midfielder.

Togwell tried his luck from 20-yards and his effort went through a crowd of bodies, but Orient’s goalkeeper parried away from goal.

Sandro Semedo was replaced with 19 minutes left as Ulrich Nnomo made his second appearance for the east Londoners.

Minutes applause in 73rd minute for Brian Lowy who passed away recently after holding various different roles at Barnet throughout his life.

With 14 minutes remaining the Bees supporters called for a penalty when Akinde and Erichot tangled in the area.

Referee Handley correctly waved play on and both teams pushed for the opening goal at the Hive.

McCallum received a yellow card in the 81st minute for accidently using his elbows when jumping with Michael Nelson.

Handley’s decision frustrated the Orient striker and Kelly was called over to have a word with the forward.

Surprisingly when Ollie Palmer was introduced it was in place of Simpson and not McCallum with five minutes left.

There was a moment of panic two minutes later when Erichot’s poor header dropped perfectly for Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro.

Barnet’s substitute burst into the area and when he was about to shoot, Hunt brilliantly blocked for a corner.

Edwards team responded, however, when Palmer cut inside and forced Vickers into a routine save in the 89th minute.

Four minutes of stoppage time were added on and although Palmer again tested Vickers it finished goalless.

The result halted Orient’s run of three consecutive defeats and all of the away support applauded the players off the pitch.

Next up for the east Londoners is a trip to loca rivals Southend United on Tuesday night in the EFL Trophy.

Barnet: Vickers; Vilhete, Nelson, Dembele, Johnson; Campbell-Ryce (Akpa Akpro 71), Togwell, Taylor (Nicholls 46), Gambin; Akinde, Batt (Weston 29).

Unused substitutes: Stephens, N’Gala, Watson, Muggleton.

Leyton Orient: Cisak; Hunt, Erichot, Parkes, Kennedy; Cornick (Bowery 50), Kelly, Massey, Semedo (Nnomo 71); McCallum, Simpson (Palmer 85).

Unused substitutes: Sargeant, Pollock, Ochieng, Benedicic.

Attendance: 2,682 (986 Leyton Orient supporters).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus