Leyton Orient return from self-isolation to suffer Cheltenham Town defeat
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
League Two: Leyton Orient 0 Cheltenham Town 2
L eyton Orient returned from their self-isolation period after a number of Covid-19 positive tests to a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Cheltenham Town.
Two early goals from George Lloyd and Finn sealed the three points for the visitors in what was always going to be a tough contest after not training for two weeks for the O’s at the Breyer Group Stadium.
In the fourth minute Orient had a chance to break in numbers, but Conor Wilkinson’s ball is played just behind Danny Johnson.
The visitors opened the scoring in the 16th minute as George Lloyd struck a shot from close range that to give them the lead.
You may also want to watch:
Cheltenham then doubled their lead in the 29th minute of play as Finn Azas steered a header into the top corner.
Six minutes the hosts thought they pulled one back as Johnson pounced on a loose ball and fired home but the flag went up for offside.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 8 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 9 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 10 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
Instead they went into the break trailing by two goals and a mammoth challenge ahead of them in the second-half.
Not long into the second-half Jobi McAnuff burst past his man but was brought down wide of the box as he looked to advance.
Conor Wilkinson hit the bar from the resulting free-kick which caught everyone off guard in the 58th minute.
In the 67th minute substitute Ruel Sotiriou had a chance blocked as he created some energy for the O’s in the later stage.
The 20-year-old Cypriot striker continued to cause chaos and on the stroke of full-time but brought down inside the box but the referee waved the penalty appealed away and Orient suffered their first league defeat of the season.
Leyton Orient: Vigouroux; Ling, Coulson, Widdowson, Brophy; Wright (Maguire-Drew 68), Cisse, McAnuff; Wilkinson (Angol 68), Johnson, Dennis (Sotiriou 68).
Unused subs: Sargeant, Happe, Clay, Dayton.
Cheltenham Town: Griffiths; Raglan (Bonds 80), Tozer, Boyle; Blair, Thomas, Sercombe, Azaz (Clements 63), Hussey; Williams, Lloyd (May 58).
Unused subs: Harris, Reid, Freestone, Sang.