Leyton Orient come from behind to dump brave Haringey Borough out of the FA Trophy

Haringey Borough are set to smash their record attendance at Coles Park when Leyton Orient visit in

Haringey Borough are set to smash their record attendance at Coles Park when Leyton Orient visit in the FA Trophy (pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo). - Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo

FA Trophy first round: Haringey Borough 1 Leyton Orient 2

Leyton Orient survived an almighty scare in the first round of the FA Trophy before booking their spot in the next stage of the competition with a 2-1 win at Haringey Borough.

Tom Loizou’s hosts’ were in dream land with five minutes played when Michael Ademiluyi put them in front.

It took the O’s until the 58th minute to equalise with Josh Coulson scoring from his last touch of the game to level it up at Coles Park.

And in a strange twist of fate, Matt Harrold netted the winner 10 minutes from time for Orient with his first touch after coming on.

You may also want to watch:

O’s made it through in the end and despite some tricky periods, Justin Edinburgh would have been delighted to see his team win again.

Both sides were looking for a maiden victory in the first round of the FA Trophy before the game with Borough never reaching this stage before and Orient making their debut appearance in the competition.

Most Read

There were plenty of links between the two sides as well with Haringey boss Loizou spending time at Brisbane Road as academy and reserve team manager while also having a one-game spell in charge on a caretaker basis in 1995.

Borough chairman Aki Achillea also grew up watching the O’s in the 1970’s when Laurie Cunningham was a prominent figure in the east Londoners side.

Edinburgh showed plenty of respect to Haringey by picking a strong team with only two changes made to the XI which defeated Sutton United 4-1 last Saturday.

Coulson made his first start since September 23 after returning from a groin injury while David Mooney also came into the starting XI.

Dan Happe and Harrold dropped to the bench as a result with O’s head coach rotating to ensure everyone was fresh for a busy festive period.

Loizou was without a number of key players due to injury and suspension with hitman Ralston Gabriel ruled out following his recent red card at Heybridge Swifts.

The Borough boss therefore made two changes to the side which beat AFC Sudbury in the Bostik North last weekend.

Ayrton Coley dropped to the bench while Gabriel was only able to watch from the stands and Ademiluyi and Anthony McDonald came in for the hosts.

It was bitterly cold in north London, but there was plenty of enthusiasm in both camps ahead of this historic FA Trophy tie.

Haringey settled well and looked confident in the opening exchanges against a side which competes three divisions above the north Londoners.

It was therefore no surprise when the first real attack of the game went the hosts way, but very few expected them to take the lead from it.

Harrison Georgiou, who spent six months in the Orient first-team in 2013, was given too much space in the middle of the pitch and played Ademiluyi through.

The winger managed to compose himself inside the area before drilling past Dean Brill with only five minutes on the clock.

If O’s thought this was going to be easy then this early setback showed it was going to be anything but that.

Orient, despite their large following, were stunned, but did look to force an equaliser immediately with Macauley Bonne having a shot blocked by Rakim Richards.

Edinburgh’s men continued to pin the home side back with Bonne going close on two occasions at Coles Park.

He firstly volleyed over after Mooney’s knock down before heading an effort off target following a Bondz N’Gala header.

It offered the National League club some encouragement and they went even closer in the 20th minute.

James Dayton was allowed too much time out on the left and crossed in for Mooney, but he headed wide when he should have at least tested Ashley Harris in the Haringey goal.

Borough reminded O’s of their threat with 23 minutes played when Jobi McAnuff was caught on his heels and Michael O’Donoghue nipped in before finding wide-man McDonald, but he sliced way off target when well placed inside the area.

Orient then created their best chance of the game with 32 gone when Mooney flicked into Dayton’s path and he looked to fire into the top corner, but was denied by Harris.

Bonne was free at the back post and the rebound nearly found him, but Haringey were able to clear.

The hosts responded with a superb opportunity of their own two minutes later when McDonald received the ball out on the left and turned Myles Judd inside out, but with the ball nestling into the bottom corner, Brill tipped just wide.

There were penalty appeals from the visitors soon after when Mooney went down after colliding with Quba Gordon, but referee Gary Parsons waved play on despite O’s appearing to have reason to be aggrieved in the 36th minute.

Orient created another chance three minutes later when Dayton swung a free kick into the Haringey area and Bonne headed towards goal.

Harris was there yet again though to save and he in particular was exuberating plenty of confidence after a shaky start.

The referee awarded three minutes of additional time at the end of the 45 and though Dayton got in behind the Borough defence on one occasion, he was unable to find a team-mate and the first period finished 1-0 to the home side.

You can only imagine what Edinburgh’s team talk would have been and it was not a surprise to see O’s out first.

There was a slight delay to the start of the second half with one of the linesmen not able to continue after suffering a muscle injury and needing to be replaced by the fourth official.

Loizou made a change at the break as well with Richards coming off and Lauren Luke taking his place in midfield.

Orient had the first chance of the second half when Joe Widdowson chipped in for Bonne, but he again headed over.

Craig Clay was next to try his luck, yet his 20-yarder flew over and it remained 1-0 to the home side.

The O’s continued to pin Haringey back with Alex Lawless finding Bonne moments later, but he headed straight at Harris.

It felt like the equaliser was coming and in the 58th minute it finally arrived and thanks to both of Orient’s centre back.

N’Gala first of all did extremely well to keep Dayton’s first corner alive and win a second set-piece.

McAnuff went over to take it and found Coulson at the back post, who showed great composure to volley home his first goal for the club on his return from injury.

It would prove to be the centre back’s last involvement in the game with Edinburgh taking him off straight after and Happe coming on.

Orient weren’t satisfied just to be back on level terms, however, and nearly took the lead in the 64th minute when Clay cut inside and forced Harris into a low save.

McAnuff swung in another dangerous corner, which was cleared back to him and from his second cross he found Happe, but he headed narrowly past the post.

More O’s pressure occurred and the visitors were inches away from taking the lead in the 68th minute when Craig Clay composed himself before curling against the post from 20-yards.

Haringey announced the attendance soon after with 1,133 spectators inside Coles Park, which meant Borough had set a new record attendance after 401 were present for the FA Cup clash with Heybridge Swifts on October 14 - the previous best crowd.

Loizou made another change 17 minutes from time with former Dagenham & Redbridge youngster Kai Heather replacing Georgiou.

The game was becoming stretched now with Judd slicing over before Chris Benjamin turned Happe well, but couldn’t beat Brill from range.

O’s were ramping up the pressure and forced another corner in the 78th minute which was cleared behind for another.

Before it was taken, Harrold entered the pitch with Lawless making way and it would prove to be an inspired substitution.

McAnuff swung the corner in and there was the sub at the back post to head in with his first touch.

After trailing for so long, Orient finally had the lead, but Haringey were not about to give up without a fight.

Boss Loizou made his final change with Jordan Edwards coming on for Ryan Hervel with nine minutes remaining.

Haringey pushed in the dying exchanges with Edwards testing Brill with a header before Quba Gordon headed straight at the O’s goalkeeper from another long throw by Luke.

Five minutes of additional time were added on at the end of the 90 and there was still time for some late drama.

Borough won two corners and from the second, the ball dropped for Heather on the edge, but he fired wide and with that, the game was over.

Orient had made it into the second round and secured back-to-back wins for the first time since defeating Guiseley and Maidenhead United at the start of the season.

Meanwhile Haringey could be proud of their efforts after running O’s close and also pocketing plenty of money from a record crowd.

Haringey Borough: Harris, Olufemi, Mitchell, Gordon, O’Donoghue; Ademiluyi, Hervel (Edwards 81), Richards (Luke 46), McDonald; Georgiou (Heather 73); Benjamin.

Unused substitutes: Byfield, Coley.

Leyton Orient: Brill; Judd, N’Gala, Coulson (Happe 59), Widdowson; McAnuff, Lawless (Harrold 79), Clay, Dayton (Sendles-White 90); Mooney, Bonne.

Unused substitutes: Grainger, Koroma.

Attendance: 1,133.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus