Leyton Orient fans unhappy after Yeovil Town consign Andy Hessenthaler’s team to another defeat at Brisbane Road

Leyton Orient defender Yvan Erichot brings the ball forward with Mansfield Town's Matt Green watchin

Leyton Orient defender Yvan Erichot brings the ball forward with Mansfield Town's Matt Green watching on (pic: Simon O'Connor). - Credit: Archant

Sky Bet League Two: Leyton Orient 0 Yeovil Town 1

Leyton Orient lost for the third time at home this season in League Two after Tom Eaves scored the only goal of the game for Yeovil Town.

Andy Hessenthaler’s men were in great form going into the match, but struggled to create chances throughout.

Eaves popped up in the 76th minute to score the opener and it proved to be the difference in the end.

The O’s were once again unchanged from the 2-2 draw at Carlisle United – the third consecutive weekend Hessenthaler had picked the same starting XI.

You may also want to watch:

But his options on the bench were massively boosted by the return of Jay Simpson and Nigel Atangana.

Charlie Grainger was also among the replacements for the first time this season with Sam Sargeant missing out through illness.

Most Read

Gavin Massey tested Artur Krysiak in the Glovers goal after four minutes, but his volley was comfortably saved.

It had been a quiet start at Brisbane Road with both teams failing to settle fully and possession constantly swapping hands.

Yeovil attacked with purpose for the first time in the 15th minute when Orient didn’t deal with a deep cross properly.

Nathan Smith managed to work a yard of space and forced Alex Cisak to save at his near post.

Three minutes later and it was the hosts turn to get forward and Liam Kelly perhaps should have done better.

Harry Cornick, against his old club, linked up nicely with Jordan Bowery and got to the byline.

Cornick picked out Kelly in the box and he flicked up before volleying widely over from 12-yards.

After that opportunity the visitors began to get on top and had three corners in quick succession.

They didn’t come to anything and Cornick did slice over after Paul McCallum’s lay-off in the 23rd minute, but Yeovil were beginning to dominate.

Moments after that chance and Otis Khan’s free kick was headed over by Eaves after he beat Cisak to the ball.

A poor header by Yvan Erichot 60 seconds later resulted in Ryan Hedges latching onto the loose ball.

The one time Orient loanee cut inside and saw his deflected effort parried by Cisak before the offside flag saved O’s.

With half an hour gone, this wasn’t the type of performance Hessenthaler would have wanted and he was barking orders at his team from the touchline.

Slowly the east Londoners began to get a real foothold in the game and won a free kick in a dangerous position six minutes before half time.

Callum Kennedy’s corner was headed out to Robbie Weir and he was tripped right on the edge of the box.

Orient had Cornick, their captain and Kennedy all standing over the set piece and it was the latter who tried his luck, but hit the wall.

A minute of additional time was added on and just as it was Nicky Hunt received a painful whack.

He was able to get up and limp off and referee Darren Deadman blew for half time seconds later.

Unfortunately Hunt was unable to resume after the break and he was replaced by Aron Pollock.

O’s didn’t make the best of starts to the second period, although Kennedy did fire over in the 51st minute.

Yeovil were growing in confidence and pushing for the opener with the hosts looking shaky at the back.

Erichot was shown a yellow card on the hour mark for cynically bringing down Smith near the corner flag.

Fortunately the free kick come to nothing and by this point Hessenthaler had seen enough from his team.

Simpson and Atangana were introduced in the 63rd minute with Weir and Bowery making way.

The pair were unable to immediately change the tide of the match with O’s still struggling to create openings.

With quarter of an hour remaining, Simpson did show his ability by creating a yard of space and testing Krysiak from range.

Yeovil’s goalkeeper saved comfortably, however, before setting up the visitors next attack and they won a corner.

Orient switched off and the set piece was taken short to Hedges and he crossed in for Eaves to nod into the corner.

It stunned the home faithful and with 14 minutes remaining, they were bracing themselves for another home defeat.

Hessenthaler’s men searched for a response and McCallum’s long throw caused them more problems and Massey volleyed goalwards.

Krysiak spilled his effort but nobody was close enough to latch onto the rebound and the Glovers survived.

The next opportunity created by the O’s was through Pollock when he played in Massey down the right.

Alex Lacey got across brilliantly to block the low effort of the ex-Colchester United man and it remained 1-0.

Four minutes of additional time were added on and in the second, Orient were so close to equalising.

McCallum’s knock down was controlled by Simpson and he managed to fire past Krysiak but Kevin Dawson got back on the line to clear.

The follow up was fired goalwards by McCallum but Smith bravely blocked before Kelly fired over.

Again Orient pushed for the equaliser and Simpson tried his luck from outside the area, but Krysiak saved.

Referee Deadman blew for full time shortly afterwards and O’s had lost their third game of the season at home.

The Orient fans voiced their frustration afterwards and a large number changed ‘Becchetti out’ towards Italian president Francesco Becchetti.

It was the loudest protest of note against the O’s president to date and showed the supporters are unhappy after another poor display in E10.

Leyton Orient: Cisak; Hunt (Pollock 46), Erichot, Parkes, Kennedy; Cornick, Kelly, Weir (Atangana 63), Massey; Bowery (Simpson 63), McCallum.

Unused substitutes: Grainger, Palmer, Nnomo, Semedo.

Yeovil Town: Krysiak; Shephard, Ward, Lacey, Smith; Dawson, Butcher, Dolan; Khan (Mugabi 89), Eaves, Hedges.

Unused substitutes: Maddison, Lawless, Ezewele, Sowunmi, Campbell, Whitfield.

Attendance: 4,557 (272 Yeovil Town supporters).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus