Leyton Orient in seventh heaven after more success in FA Youth Cup books third round tie at Leicester City

The FA Youth Cup is well underway (pic: Andrew Matthews/PA Images).

The FA Youth Cup is well underway (pic: Andrew Matthews/PA Images). - Credit: PA ARCHIVE IMAGES

Hat-tricks from Tristan Abrahams and Josh Koroma helped O’s Academy to victory at Poole Town with Steven Alzate also on target

Leyton Orient booked their spot in the third round of the FA Youth Cup with another stunning performance on the road.

Tristan Abrahams and Josh Koroma netted hat-tricks to inspire a 7-1 victory at Poole Town with Steven Alzate also on target.

Richard Thomas will now take his team to Premier League outfit Leicester City in the next round.

The O’s made a strong start at Tatnam Ground with Koroma firing over from just outside the area after four minutes.

You may also want to watch:

Poole responded through Ollie Balmer, although his volley failed to test Sam Roach in the away goal.

Under the watchful eye of Orient’s assistant manager Andy Edwards and Head of Youth Recruitment Miguel de Souza, the visitors went close in the 12th minute.

Most Read

Toby Stevenson called Poole goalkeeper Sam Goodland into action and Abrahams tried to force in the rebound before Koroma shot wide.

Sam Dalby was involved with just over quarter of an hour played, but his low centre for O’s captain Abrahams was intercepted.

After dominating the opening exchanges, Orient got their reward in the 21st minute when Myles Judd was brought down inside the area.

Abrahams stepped up and coolly sent Goodland the wrong way to open the scoring in the second round tie.

Poole were not going to be swept aside easily, though, with Judd needing to make an important block to prevent Balmer finding the net.

Dalby fired wide with 28 minutes gone following Koroma’s cross before Patrick Adamson fizzed a shot off target.

Both Dalby and Adamson were proving a menace for the opposition with both going close and Goodland now being test regularly.

Just as it seemed O’s would be coming in with only a one-goal lead at half time, they doubled their advantage.

Once again Abrahams showed his clinical touch with a left-footed strike into the bottom corner in the first minute of stoppage time.

Poole replaced goalkeeper Goodland at the break with Jeremy James taking his place and he was immediately called into action.

Abrahams, eyeing a hat-trick now, turned well and had a curling effort tipped wide by the home custodian.

Roach had to stay alert in the 51st minute when Pat Spiteri’s cross almost caught the talented youngster out, but he prevented it crossing the line.

And then four minutes later Orient extended their lead with Koroma converting Dalby’s low cross.

Poole were handed the opportunity to reduce the arrears in the 59th minute when Roach committed a foul inside the area.

Although the away goalkeeper guessed the right way, he couldn’t keep put Balmer’s fierce strike.

Thomas’ team weren’t about to let their grasp on the game slip away with Henry Ochieng smashing an effort against the crossbar before Adamson shot wide.

Orient made it 4-1 in the 65th minute when Abrahams completed his treble after Alzate’s drive was parried.

The Poole goal was coming under serious pressure now with Koroma and the hat-trick hero almost adding a fifth.

Alzate got in on the act with 21 minutes remaining when he fired into the bottom corner after Abrahams assist.

Three minutes later and Ruel Sotiriou replaced O’s captain at Tatnam Ground with Dan Happe taking the armband.

Ochieng and Dalby made way soon after with Teddy Perkins and Andrew Camilo-Tayaca coming on.

With Orient in control and less than 10 minutes remaining, they could have been forgiven for taking their foot off the gas.

But it was quite the opposite with Koroma testing James after a powerful run before Sotiriou was brilliantly denied by the Poole stopper.

A dangerous Camilo-Tayaca cross almost produced the sixth before the east Londoners did find the net.

Koroma bagged his second of the night with another smart finish to make it 6-1 with three minutes remaining.

There was still time for the 18-year-old to complete his treble when he curled a free kick home to make it 7-1 on the stroke of full time.

It was another clinical performance from Orient and means they’ll visit Leicester City in the next round.

Leyton Orient: Roach; Judd, McLean, Happe, Stevenson; Koroma, Ochieng (Perkins 78), Alzate, Adamson; Dalby (Camilo-Tayaca 81), Abrahams (Sotiriou 72).

Unused substitutes: Janata, Hall.

Attendance: 316.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus